Horse Transport. Possible Moving Back to the Isle of Wight(horse included)

Elsbells

Visit site
Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place?

I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction of an excellent horse transporter that would be interested in moving my stressy girl from our now home in Staffordshire, back to the Isle of Wight? There is a strong possibility that this will be happening this summer after 30 years living on the mainland, as my husbands health(MS) has deteriated to the existent that he now wants to go home.

I of course am quite happy to do as he asks and I can see only plusses. Ellie will of course be coming with us but I worry more about her move than his. I'm looking for a transporter that will be able to whisk her away, move her over on the ferry and unload at the other end without us. We're not to concerned about the price, just their expertise.

Any recommendations folks?

Cookies and mocka coffee for those that have got this far:cool:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
For cost, obviously the IOW transporters would give you the best costings as they have preferential rates with the ferries.

However, you can ask the big ones like Gillies - they are brilliant and (at a price!) will also do individual transport too rather than shared loads, this is not cheap tho as you pay per mile as I recall.

Good luck & hope whatever you do goes well x

Elsbells

Visit site
For cost, obviously the IOW transporters would give you the best costings as they have preferential rates with the ferries.

However, you can ask the big ones like Gillies - they are brilliant and (at a price!) will also do individual transport too rather than shared loads, this is not cheap tho as you pay per mile as I recall.

Good luck & hope whatever you do goes well x

Thankyou FF, il google Gillies:cool:

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Lightbowns are hauliers on the IOW and always travelling to the mainland.
They have horseboxes too and the eldest son rides a lot.
This would, I am sure be a lot cheaper than Gillies.
01983 520375 is their number.

foraday

Visit site
we use www.jmrt.co.uk

You can travel with your horse as well. Julie is so experienced with horses and takes all your stress away.

IOW ferry is expensive around £300 now for a 12m lorry (no preferential rates for anyone with Wrightlink now)

05troyd

Visit site
I have used ossbox transport a few times now for moving from Northumberland to wales. Honestly can't recommend them enough Steve is wonderful and patient. He updates me every time he stops and even though it is a long journey the horse always arrives relaxed and chilled. He was also very reasonably priced.

Brimmers

Visit site
No advice but where are you moving to on the Island?

Good luck with the move, I hope you're looking forward to a slower pace of life as not much ever happens over here ;) :D

cumbria

New User
Visit site
Can i just say i used Gillies and found them very reasonable and bit naughty for some people to say their pricey least give them a try ,i believe you pay for what you get and they supply a 1st class service and always put the horse first travelling in their luxury horseboxes ,my boy arrived safe and sound from the south of England to the north west even had a overnight rest to break the journey, and after all if there good enough for the queen there good enough for me ,rant over !! lots of transporters out there you just need to find one to suit your budget after all you pay peanuts get monkeys my old mother used to say!!:)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Can i just say i used Gillies and found them very reasonable and bit naughty for some people to say their pricey least give them a try ,i believe you pay for what you get and they supply a 1st class service and always put the horse first travelling in their luxury horseboxes ,my boy arrived safe and sound from the south of England to the north west even had a overnight rest to break the journey, and after all if there good enough for the queen there good enough for me ,rant over !! lots of transporters out there you just need to find one to suit your budget after all you pay peanuts get monkeys my old mother used to say!!:)

Reading back my 1st post, I think I can see I might have been mis-construed :)
I 'meant' that at a price you can go exclusively, not that they were pricey ;)

They are the ones I'd use again & again for long haul in the UK. The care is second to none & animals always come off their lorries well, even wild unhandled eejits that I've had shipped in ;)
Eric Gillie rates are very good, especially if you are happy to do shared loads.
The cost only comes up 'if' you want an exclusive trip & not a shared load and I know there is a flat rate charge plus xyz per mile.
The last one they shipped for me came down from the far north of Scotland, took 2 full days & 2 nights to arrive in darkest Surrey - and it cost me less than a one way trip of petrol for my car (would not even think of adding the diesel cost for my lorry). It also saved me 2+ hard days of driving, plus also time off work too! - its a no-brainer when distances are involved for 1 horse.

Mind you, anyone doing a longish trip with 1 horse going exclusively (not a shared load) is going to be charged - its not just the fuel (prices through the roof at the pump) but over a days work for a driver, plus wear & tear - and then the OP also has the ferry return cost too.

cumbria

New User
Visit site
:) Price of Fuel with my Land rover and trailer was nearly treble what the transporter quoted and i just sat back and waited for the horse to arrive and it took the stress out of the whole procedure for me. I guess the most expensive part of the trip for you is going to be the Ferry and they know how to charge Isle of man ferry is horrendus but no options their lol