Horse transporters in north east England?

gentle_giant

Visit site
Hi Im looking to bring my new horre home soon and was wondering if anyone knows of any horse transporters in the north east.

please PM if you dont want to put details up, horse will be moving about 120 miles.

eventer28

Visit site
James Hanson from Bradford, West Yorkshire will transport horses all over England and Europe. His service is excellent and very competitive price. 07855963366

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Im looking to bring my new horre home soon and was wondering if anyone knows of any horse transporters in the north east.

please PM if you dont want to put details up, horse will be moving about 120 miles.

[/ QUOTE ] Where in the North East? James Jefferson is very good and professional. 07970 440110 He has done several jobs for me, including travelling down to Surray to collect a horse and bring it up to Durham for me
smile.gif

foraday

Visit site
I would try www.findhorsetransport.com legal and registered horse transporters on there or use H&H to look-whatever you do choose a legal and licenced one-the horse transport laws are changing on 5th Jan so any lorry not being legal will be impounded.

Horse Transport - The Facts

There are many horse transporters out there some legal and some not so legal. So how do you tell which is the legal one?

The Legal Requirements

1 Operators Licence-either green (international) or blue (national only) discs usually displayed above the road fund licence. The discs have the operators licence number, expiry date, registration number of the lorry and the transporters company. You can check the validity of the licence number on www.vosa.gov.uk

2 DEFRA Licence-this is a licence given by DEFRA to show that we are competent at transporting horses. There are 2 types of Licence-TYPE 1 and a TYPE 2. A TYPE 1 licence shown as T1 on the licence only allows horses to be travelled up to 8 hours. The time is taken from when the 1st horse is loaded and the last horse has been unloaded. A TYPE 2 Licence is for over 8 hours and not more than 12 hours in UK only and a LONG JOURNEY CERTIFICATION is for over 12 hours and INTERNATIONAL. The transporter has to carry the new licence on board the lorry and the certification-there is also a metal plate (usually placed next to the chassis plate) on the lorry to prove that the lorry is legal for transport. You can get up to date information from:-
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/farmed/transport/eu-transportreg.htm#journ

3 Hire and Reward Insurance-this is just a standard insurance required to transport for money-just like a taxi company has to insure for business use in case of an accident. This insures the lorry only and any third party vehicle-nothing else!!

4 Employers Liability Insurance-just as a shop has to have this so does a lorry. It insures you when you step on the lorry, any of your staff that travel with the horse etc.

5 Public Liability Insurance-this insures all equipment that you place on the lorry-such as tack, rugs, etc.

6 Care, Custody and Control Insurance-this insures horses on the lorry whilst in the care of the transporter.

CHECK WITH YOUR TRANSPORTER THAT THEY HAVE ALL 6 LEGAL REQUIREMENTS

ALL OF THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BY LAW BE CARRIED ON THE LORRY FOR CHECKING BY THE AUTHORITIES. A LEGAL TRANSPORTER WILL BE HAPPY TO SHOW YOU THESE DOCUMENTS.

YOU AND YOUR HORSE ARE AT RISK IF ANY ONE OF THE ABOVE ARE MISSING!

DO NOT USE THE TRANSPORTER!

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Where in the North East? James Jefferson is very good and professional. 07970 440110 He has done several jobs for me, including travelling down to Surray to collect a horse and bring it up to Durham for me
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have used this before - they were very good - we had a driver and wagon all day for a show, he was a really nice chap, super horsebox, would definately recommend.

I think I've seen one for C&C transport local to me in NE - N Yorks, and I know the co-owner, used to work in local feedstore - and they are supposed to be good too, haven't used them personally but knowing the people, I'd happily use them. Can probably get you the number, they are based in Stokesley (ish).

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where in the North East? James Jefferson is very good and professional. 07970 440110 He has done several jobs for me, including travelling down to Surray to collect a horse and bring it up to Durham for me
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have used this before - they were very good - we had a driver and wagon all day for a show, he was a really nice chap, super horsebox, would definately recommend.

I think I've seen one for C&C transport local to me in NE - N Yorks, and I know the co-owner, used to work in local feedstore - and they are supposed to be good too, haven't used them personally but knowing the people, I'd happily use them. Can probably get you the number, they are based in Stokesley (ish).

[/ QUOTE ] James is a 'one man' operation, so he will have been your're driver. He is also correctly registered and insured
smile.gif

gentle_giant

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I know stokesley well, Im a bit further north than that, 9 miles outside of Darlington.

James Jefferson soudns good, I will give him a ring tomorrow I think, a bit late now ha ha!

Gingernags

Visit site
I'm in Guisborough, but most horsefeeds and stuff I get from Armstrongs in Stokesley. The C&C transport lady used to be the manageress there I think.

But James Jefferson was very good, let me know if you don't have any luck and I can find the other one out for you. B&B Liveries in Potto used to have a transport service too, they are pretty good, used to get my shavings from there and the bloke is a proper old style horseman and very good with them.