Horse transporting, recommendations?

Vizslak

Visit site
Hi guys, basically I need a horse moved from near Bristol to Scotland (Biggar area). Does anyone have any recommendations of decent companies to do this? Ideas on costs?
Im nervous of sticking this horse in a strange lorry and sending him the other end of the country, any reassurances and things to consider/be aware of would be greatly appreciated. :)

blood_magik

Visit site
Gillies are good - they moved two of mine from Newmarket to Glasgow.
Im not sure about costs because the lorry was included in the price for having them flown from the Middle East.

Vizslak

Visit site
Gillies are good - they moved two of mine from Newmarket to Glasgow.
Im not sure about costs because the lorry was included in the price for having them flown from the Middle East.

Thanks, I was just looking on their website, I'll email for a quote from them.

guido16

Visit site
Another one for fillies. Moved one of mine recently and I have used them a few times. He arrived in tip top condition. They keep you informed throughout the journey.

Big 5 stars from me.

Vizslak

Visit site
Hmmm initially disappointed with my first contact emailed and had a reply asking me to phone the office to discuss needs further as each horses needs need consideration etc, I liked that, so rung in, they are having phone issues so will forgive the fact that the woman on the other end simply briskly asked where travel was needed from and to, how big the horse was, quoted 350 plus vat and asked if i wanted to book and pay now! That wasnt quite the convo I was expecting after recieving initial email! Still as I said, they were having major phone issues there and perhaps not a fair representation. I will speak with them again tomorrow!

Skipadeedooda

Visit site
Hi, I too had a very "off" conversation with the lady when I called to book Gillies, she was very harsh and matter of fact which really took me off guard.

However, I did use them to transport my unhandled yearling from sellers yard in Biggar to Aberdeenshire and the lorry and driver were brilliant. They left her loose in a double partition so it was like she was stabled. Due to other stops with the lorry she travelled for 11hours and was so relaxed and fresh when she arrived. Driver loaded her up no problem, checked her regularly, offered water frequently and even came in to stables to see her settle for the night.

Fantastic service on the practical side but first point of contact is off-putting. As much as that annoyed me I wouldn't travel my horses with anyone else and I would highly recommend them.

Vizslak

Visit site
Hi, I too had a very "off" conversation with the lady when I called to book Gillies, she was very harsh and matter of fact which really took me off guard.

However, I did use them to transport my unhandled yearling from sellers yard in Biggar to Aberdeenshire and the lorry and driver were brilliant. They left her loose in a double partition so it was like she was stabled. Due to other stops with the lorry she travelled for 11hours and was so relaxed and fresh when she arrived. Driver loaded her up no problem, checked her regularly, offered water frequently and even came in to stables to see her settle for the night.

Fantastic service on the practical side but first point of contact is off-putting. As much as that annoyed me I wouldn't travel my horses with anyone else and I would highly recommend them.

Thats reassuring thank you

guido16

Visit site
That will be Jane gillie that you mean. She is very brisk but service is second to none and I spoke to her a few times during the journey where she was lovely.

Don't be put off, it is just her way.

Vizslak

Visit site
That will be Jane gillie that you mean. She is very brisk but service is second to none and I spoke to her a few times during the journey where she was lovely.

I see, glad I made this post as it may well have put me off them if it wasnt for the recommendations here.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I agree but it is offputting when you don't know I drove eight hours and picked one up myself after a particularily brisk encounter that was before I had sussed it out .