Horse treats!

Clofox

Visit site
Hi all,
I currently Treat my mare to carrots,polo's and the odd apple every now and again.
However i was wondering if there are any treats the you would recommend for me to try, shes a tad tubby so nothing to sugary hence why i'm looking for something new so she does not have so many polo's.
can any one offer me any suggestions?
Thank you:)

Housemouse

Visit site
Simple System feeds make mint treats - low calorie Alfa with mint - no sugar or other additives.
Feed sparingly if she is a bit tubby.

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
badmington alos do tubs herbal treats .... echo the advice to drop the carrots / polos.

However unless you are using them as a direct reward system in training things she will not miss them and there is no need to give her them at all even if she likes them. ;)

I I want my horses to have a bit of variety added to diet I get whole swedes or other root veg and scatter them around for them to find and "graze" ....... also rosehips.

Blitzen

Visit site
Mine have a slurp on the little garlic Horselyx as a treat. Its like treacle so they don't have it ad lib, (they have a plain mineral lick in the paddock), and they love it! Downside is their lips, and just the whole general face area if the young one is having some, turn bright orange like cheap fake tan! So as a rule they don't have it before we're going out anywhere. x

Alimac19

Visit site
Mr Johnson's Equiglo Treats - A delicious snack formulated using dried grass and herbs. Ingredients include Fenugreek, Kelp and Parsley which help promote good all-round condition, contain high levels of calcium and aid digestion.

My horse goes MAD for these and he's a really fussy treat feeder.

Blitzen

Visit site
Just wondering about the rosehips... do you feed them raw, straight off the bush? We had them in abundence this year and I know they are good for the horses but was unsure of how to feed it to them. Even google couldn't help me! x

EJ87

Visit site
Turnip with a rope through da middle. hang it up in there stable keeps them amused for hours and low calorie.

WelshRuby

Visit site
Just wondering about the rosehips... do you feed them raw, straight off the bush? We had them in abundence this year and I know they are good for the horses but was unsure of how to feed it to them. Even google couldn't help me! x

Yes you can feed them raw. Mine help themselves from the bushes around the field. They also freeze well so can be fed during the winter.