Horse try’s to per but nothing comes out

My equine life

Visit site
My mare tried to pee quite a few times and nothing came out. Eventually she had a small wee. She is eating her hay normally. Rode her and she was ok. Perhaps more well behaved than normal but she trotted nice and wasn’t overly lethargic or anything. Should I be worried. Pee looked normal what little bit there was of it.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Get the vet out. She might have bladder stones, which mercifully in a mare are easy to sort out (mares have nice wide urethras) My gelding was not so lucky and he was fine(peeing often and little, but normal in himself) until he wasn't. Matter of 2 days.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
My best guess would be in season. If she had stones she would not be acting normal when ridden I would say.
Like I said, mine was absolutely fine to ride, ate normally etc, until he stopped being able to pee entirely and we lost him in 48 hours. Mares are much easier to treat (48 hours of talking to vet about bladder stones) Hopefully it is just that she's in season :) Do you know the vet well enough to ring up and have a chat?

Mule

Visit site
Keep an eye on the colour of the pee. If it gets very dark in colour or she's uncomfortable when ridden call the vet. My gelding had those symptoms with cystitis. He got antibiotics and he was fine.

PurBee

Visit site
Bladder infection can make you want to pee and nothing comes out.

As mentioned, could be benign hormonal shifts or something serious. Kidney failure also causes lack of ability to pee right at the end, but with that there generally are other obvious energy symptoms /appetite preceeding too.
I’d defo get vet consult, as although my mare has her seasons ive never witnessed a peeing prob with her...aside from her costing me tonnes in bedding! ?

SpringArising

Visit site
Sounds like a bladder infection. I'd get the vet out because I know first hand how absolutely excruciating they are. Seriously - the worst pain of my life, crying in A&E type of pain.

Nicnac

Visit site
Is she new to you? If so probably just in season squirting now sun's out. If you've had her for more than a year and she didn't do it last year - call the vet.

My equine life

Visit site
Oh gosh very worried now. Going to ring and talk to vet. We’ve had her ages and she has had weird season before but not this specifically. She squirts a lot and has her tail lifted but Is so irregular so let’s hope she’s feeling good coz of spring. She seems normal in herself it’s just this.

Mule

Visit site
It's good the vet isn't worried. Just keep an eye on her and if she's still having trouble/ is worse in a week perhaps contact the vet again.