Horse unbalanced and leaning in trailer - advice please!

missuso

Visit site
My horse (7 year old 15hh connemara) has been travelling well in the trailer for the last 6 months, but has now started leaning on the side of the trailer whilst standing on only two legs. He clearly feels unbalanced and I realise this is a very unsafe way to travel. I have sought advice from my instructor, friends and this forum, and have removed the central partition from the trailer and replaced the breast bars with full-width versions. I have since travelled with him twice on short local trips, but he is still leaning on the side of the trailer on two legs. Has anyone else experienced this with their horse and do you have any advice as to how I can encourage him to stand up on all four legs, now that he has more room in the trailer to adjust his position?

missuso

Visit site
He isn't tied short, but is cross tied. He can see behind him and adjust his body position diagonally. I haven't tried with him untied as I'm concerned it would destabilise the trailer if he was turning around. Have you tried this with your horse?

be positive

Visit site
I wouldn't travel a horse loose in a trailer unless the top doors were shut which in this weather is not fair, I would keep to cross ties and make them fairly loose to stop him being able to turn but allow plenty of movement, I would give him a decent amount of bedding to improve grip, some don't like just matting, I might shut the top door directly behind him once it is cooler and consider getting a mirror in case he is anxious about being alone, if nothing helps the next thing is to get him checked by a vet and or physio as it can be a sign that something is wrong physically.

missuso

Visit site
Good thought, but the trailer was serviced recently, so hopefully should be all ok. I'm looking into possibly replacing it with a trailer that allows him to travel herringbone and facing backwards, as I know this is how they prefer to travel.

missuso

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Yes I'm not sure travelling loose is wise. He has a routine physio check next month, so I'll chat to her about it.

Mule

Visit site
I don't know, I remember you asking about the problem previously but I'm out of ideas. One other thing, I've forgotten if you already said, but have you tried him in another horsebox?

ihatework

Visit site
Have you noticed anything else changed about him, primarily under saddle, however subtle?

If he has been travelling well and now isn’t, then to my mind there are one of two main reasons
1) there is something wrong with the trailer (or have you changed tow vehicle?)
2) your horse has discomfort somewhere and is avoiding taking all his weight evenly across limbs, preferring instead to use the wall for support.

foxy

Visit site
I had the same issue with my horse with a trailer I had borrowed, although in my friends trailer it wasn't an issue, I think it was something to do with the trailer that he didn't like, he was better cross tied but I now have my horsebox back so he travels in there. I did travel in the trailer for 5 mins to see what he did and he basically struggled to stand up and then would panic.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Good thought, but the trailer was serviced recently, so hopefully should be all ok. I'm looking into possibly replacing it with a trailer that allows him to travel herringbone and facing backwards, as I know this is how they prefer to travel.

Definately get it checked again by someone else especially tyre pressures. Ive had 2 horses who travelled perfectly for years start to do this leaning thing (to the point they would actually start falling down before we even moved!). The second horse started doing it shortly after our trailer had been serviced. Turned out they had overinflated the tyres!! So poor horse was probably being bounced all over the place (even though it felt normal to tow) - so definately check your tyre pressures! Ours were both sorted by removing the back half of the partition so they could spread their hind legs out wider. Have you tried that? Im surprised though that your taking the whole partition out hasnt sorted him as Ive known other horses to start this same issue, all sorted with more room.

missuso

Visit site
That's interesting, this has started since I had the trailer serviced and new tyres fitted. I'll definitely check the pressures! I was expecting an improvement once the partition was removed as everyone said that would work. I'm looking into back-facing herringbone trailers in case he really can't tolerate our current trailer, but I will check the tyres first. Thanks for the advice.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Have you had the trailer thoroughly checked? Could be be compensating for a problem with the suspension?

This ^

1] check tyre pressure, and take extra care stopping and starting and turning. If you are carrying 2 can you put this horse on the opposite side to what he is used too?
2] Can you give him more space?
3] Can you try him in other trailers/ boxes to see if it is only in this one?
4] Is it all the journey or just on straights as the camber in the road can sometimes contribute to unstable travel. Another suggestion, have you spoken to the vet as arthritis/ pelvic issues can lead to leaning too.

missuso

Visit site
Thanks for your advice.
- I have checked the tyre pressure and all tyres are fine.
- I have removed the central partition so he has more space, and the leaning occurs when travelling around corners. He's fine on the straight.
- He is showing no sign of arthritis - moves well in the school etc., but he does have a physio check-up next month so will discuss with her.
- We will try him in other trailers and lorries to see if travelling in a different position makes a difference.

SammyDingle

Visit site
I second what everyone says about having the trailer checked, but please also get a chiro to check your horse.

Our pony started to travel very badly for no reason, we had trailer thoroughly checked and he still traveled badly. Had the back lady out and he had tightness down one side and out of line. Once he was sorted back wise he went back to traveling perfectly fine

missuso

Visit site
Thanks for the good advice. Perhaps I'll bring his physio check forward. It's worth ruling everything out and would be a more simple solution if that was the cause.

missuso

Visit site
Thought I'd update this thread incase anyone else needs advice for a similar problem. I have managed to resolve the issue by removing the trailer partition and retraining using a Monty Roberts dually head collar. I started with ground training, then progressed to loading into the trailer using the dually head collar and with partition removed, then unloading. Once he was confident with that, then progressed to loading and closing the trailer for a few seconds then unloading...Once confident then loaded, closed up and started the engine... Once confident loaded and drove 10 feet in a straight line. This continued for a few weeks, steadily increasing the distance every time and taking it very slowly, especially around corners, literally 2mph. He now travels happily (still without the partition as he does use the space to steady himself around corners), and I drive very steadily so not to knock his confidence. Time and patience is the key. This whole process took a couple of months.

SweetDreams

Visit site
Thought I'd update this thread incase anyone else needs advice for a similar problem. I have managed to resolve the issue by removing the trailer partition and retraining using a Monty Roberts dually head collar. I started with ground training, then progressed to loading into the trailer using the dually head collar and with partition removed, then unloading. Once he was confident with that, then progressed to loading and closing the trailer for a few seconds then unloading...Once confident then loaded, closed up and started the engine... Once confident loaded and drove 10 feet in a straight line. This continued for a few weeks, steadily increasing the distance every time and taking it very slowly, especially around corners, literally 2mph. He now travels happily (still without the partition as he does use the space to steady himself around corners), and I drive very steadily so not to knock his confidence. Time and patience is the key. This whole process took a couple of months.
I’m so happy to read this as I’m in the complete same situation and going through the same process! So hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel!