Horse Valuation for Insurance Purposes- Advise needed please

skint1

Visit site
I lost my mare to EAM at the end of April. She was in hospital for 24 hours prior to being put to sleep and I am currently processing a claim for the vet fees and death through my insurance company (E&L) They are actually not too bad by the way-it took me 2 months to get my head around even starting the claim and they've been pretty helpful. I've not even been with them for very long having left another company I had been with for years.

There is one outstanding piece of paperwork that is stopping the claim going through and it's a valuation for my mare. They've advised me that because I don't have a receipt for my mare I need to get a professional horse breeder or trainer to give a valuation, i sat on this for quite a few weeks because I don't know any horse professionals. I called this week to ask if I could get my vet to do the valuation and they advised me that I can just contact any breeder or trainer and ask for this and they would do it.

Has anyone ever had to do this from either perspective? I can't imagine just picking someone out of the phone book and asking them for this, I am a bit scared to do it, but I do need to get it settled.

Michen

Visit site
Would suggest putting a post on your local horsey facebook group, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. Strange thing to require though as valuation should have been put on at the time of insurance, is she insured for loss of use?

Edgehog

Visit site
I helped a friend who lost her Friesian last year with a valuation for her E&L insurance claim. She emailed a Friesian "expert" with details of the mare's breeding, training level, etc... and received a long email back valuing the horse with reasons for the valuation. I think that there may have been a small charge but not sure. E&L paid out in full on the claim.

Constance62

Visit site
I had to have my previous mare put to sleep, about 7 years ago and the same situation arose for me with E & L, because I had not had her vetted at purchase or kept a receipt they asked for a valuation. I was having regular lessons so I just asked my Instructor - registered BHSI - if she would provide a letter, it was only a few lines to say that she knew the horse for x amount of time and that she had not previously shown any sign of lameness and that in her view it had been a fair purchase price (I'd only had her 3 years) How about asking your farrier?

skint1

Visit site
Hi all thanks for responding! I will see if I can make some headway with the instructor/trainer route on my local FB page, no problem to pay a fee

Michen, I valued her at what I paid for her for insurance purposes, but it was very informal the way I came to buy her, I had her on full loan and then paid monthly for her. She was worth below the threshold at which formal valuations or vettings are necessary.

eta- or actually I could just ask my farrier, thanks for that!

Last edited: