Horse VERY bothered by flies when ridden

emfen1305

Visit site
My dreams of long summer hacks are slowly being crushed as the new boy cannot cope with the flies at all. He gets very wound up and throws his head all over the place and tries to trot everywhere to get away. I try to ride out early in the morning or later on the evening when they aren't as bad, I bought a jazzy ride on fly rug that I've sprayed in deosect that goes up the neck and has a fringe all the way round to try and keep them away but he is really bothered around his head. I ride in a full face fly mask but they just need to be in his general area and the head is up and down and I can't do anything to get his attention.

I know it must be really annoying for him, they annoy me too so what can I do to try and help him cope? Once we get away from them he relaxes and goes back to plodding along quite happily but unfortunately its that time of year and there really aren't many places we can go where they aren't. I was thinking of getting a nose net as he does seem to want to itch his nose when they really bother him but any other ideas?

I am getting the dentist next month just to check there's nothing with his teeth but I do think it is fly related as he's not fussed in the school or when they aren't around out hacking. Thanks!

McFluff

Visit site
Years ago my friend had one like this. Where she lived was open and usually windy so not an issue. But we took her to the woods one day and it was awful (and where we discovered the issue).
Fly masks didn’t help. We found that ear bonnets helped. Think they helped to muffle the sounds. It was the only way she could be ridden in flies.

emfen1305

Visit site
Thanks - he's already ridden in a bonnet and a mask with ears. It's when they buzz around his head he gets really wound up and I can only do much wafting away with the whip! Once they actually land he's not bothered but if they come anywhere near him then it's really not fun!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My dreams of long summer hacks are slowly being crushed as the new boy cannot cope with the flies at all. He gets very wound up and throws his head all over the place and tries to trot everywhere to get away. I try to ride out early in the morning or later on the evening when they aren't as bad, I bought a jazzy ride on fly rug that I've sprayed in deosect that goes up the neck and has a fringe all the way round to try and keep them away but he is really bothered around his head. I ride in a full face fly mask but they just need to be in his general area and the head is up and down and I can't do anything to get his attention.

I know it must be really annoying for him, they annoy me too so what can I do to try and help him cope? Once we get away from them he relaxes and goes back to plodding along quite happily but unfortunately its that time of year and there really aren't many places we can go where they aren't. I was thinking of getting a nose net as he does seem to want to itch his nose when they really bother him but any other ideas?

I am getting the dentist next month just to check there's nothing with his teeth but I do think it is fly related as he's not fussed in the school or when they aren't around out hacking. Thanks!

Livery french tb was like this bucking and bronking all over the show, sometimes bucking every stride during hacks, ride on rugs fly repellent and avoiding the areas where the flies were worse that is all she could do.

BBP

Visit site
Could you try popping some fuzzy ear plugs in his ears inside the bonnet, to see if reducing the buzzing sound helps? (we used to use wool pom poms when I worked on the american show circuit)

Micky

Visit site
Daft as it sound, I used to put a prig of bracken around mines browband..it works the flies don’t come near..don’t know why, one of those old wives tales that seemed to work for me anyway..

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sponge neem oil around his muzzle and behind the mask (to cover the gap between mask and ride on rug). I also sponge neem oil on legs, belly, groin area and around bum. Stinks, but works!