Horse viewing lazy horse

RULEMI

Visit site
Dear all

Went to view a horse for sale today. Was written up as a 16 hand ex race horse . Now 10 years old gentleman and good all round hack.

Went to see him he seemed ok in the stable etc. When I rode him in the school he was so lazy to the point getting him to trot was a a real effort. I then took him out on a hack and again he was really hard on my leg. I thought all tb types were all forward going. This has really thrown me. Felt more like I was on a ploddy cob. Now unless he has something physically wrong with him making him go this way could it be he is just a laid back tb horse.

Once again another less than ordinary horse viewing on my long journey to find my perfect family hack.

Mx

Visit site
My TB needs a lot of leg to keep him actually moving, if a pheasant shoots out of the hedge then that is a different matter but schooling involves a lot of leg work from me.

I rode someone else's TB and I couldn't get him to stay in trot longer than 2 strides, I just physically couldn't get him to move off my leg, it was so embarrasing.

So in my experience TBs are actually quite kick-a-long.

chameleon

Visit site
While you were there did you check to see that the horse had access to water?? Dehydrating them by withdrawing water is apparently a very effective way of doping a horse so that nothing shows up should you have bloods taken.....:(

RULEMI

Visit site
Tricky as owner bought him from the racing yard when he was younger and said she has never had him vetted. Selling him for £1400 with offer of months trial.

Something I really likes about him. Needs tons of work am I mad

He also has parrot mouth which doesn't look to bad and ok if check twice a year. This is what I would do anyway for a normal horse.

M

RULEMI

Visit site
Hi there didn't check to see if he had water. He was in eating hay. Plus she has offered him on a months trial so guess would get a better picture of him .

M

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
It just goes to prove that there are many exceptions to the stereo types. I know a "curvey" hairy cob that you touch with your legs or think "canter" you're in the next county! By the same token my friends TB needs a load of leg and a rocket up its bum! He may just be a dope on a rope x

minesadouble

Visit site
It is not uncommon at all for an ex-racehorse to not go off the leg. You only need to look at the length of a jockey's stirrups to realise that these horses just do not really work from leg aids. Our ex-racer can be BONE idle!! Spurs (not used constantly) and lots of transition work have helped sharpen ours up a bit. It's been a long haul but he's definitely worth it. If you love him and are prepared to put the work in I would go for it :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
We bought an ex racer 12 year old years ago that was seemingly very quiet for a TB. Anyway we wormed him and with minimal feed (grass nuts) he soon became a 'typical TB' and very forward going.

The ex owner said he only ever fed him hay and a handful of nuts if he was ridden that day. Hence I think the quiet horse plus he was full of redworm.

RULEMI

Visit site
Hi I know I to have ridden hairy cobs before that have been pocket rockets. Guess never met a laid back tb before that started its life as a race horse.

RULEMI

Visit site
the owner did say he was only fed hard feed if ridden. Interesting plus our farm is full of grass probably turn into a different horse if managed differently

Mince Pie

Visit site
You can easily make a horse more off your leg using what I call the "nudge, kick, flick" method. I nudge first of all, if no response I "PC kick" and if still no response I back up with my schooling whip. Most horses I have used this method on have cottoned on the fact that if they go off a nudge it is a lot more pleasant for them!

Queenbee

Visit site
Dear all

Went to view a horse for sale today. Was written up as a 16 hand ex race horse . Now 10 years old gentleman and good all round hack.

Went to see him he seemed ok in the stable etc. When I rode him in the school he was so lazy to the point getting him to trot was a a real effort. I then took him out on a hack and again he was really hard on my leg. I thought all tb types were all forward going. This has really thrown me. Felt more like I was on a ploddy cob. Now unless he has something physically wrong with him making him go this way could it be he is just a laid back tb horse.

Once again another less than ordinary horse viewing on my long journey to find my perfect family hack.

Mx

Hmmm, do I know you? :D

Sorry to hear it wasn't as worthy a journey as you thought it would be x

Last edited:

ecrozier

Visit site
Rulemi what are you looking for? And where in country? My friend is selling a perfect family hack.... For not very much money. Pm me if interested.