Horse weights

JFTDWS

Visit site
Quite- so you make sure you over estimate. I would never give less than 600 kgs worth, and have no issue giving more on the larger tubes.

Fwiw this is what JFTD said

You can 'tape' with a bit of baler twine to compare two horses, without knowing the actual reading. All it is saying is they have a similar size barrel anyway ;).

'Xactly. And I really meant "his girth does up further when I use the same saddle on both of them" since I haven't taped him since he was a gangly two year old. So any tape reading would be irrelevant now. To be honest, it was probably a pointless statement - I would have been better (more accurate) to say he is lighter framed or narrower through the barrel as that wording wasn't clear.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I see one all the blimmin' time LOL. :D ;)

Carriegrazing.jpg

She weight tapes at 500 - 520kg and is a smidge over 15.2hh, so I wonder how much she really weighs, especially as Joe weight taped at 520 and was actually 480.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

Carriegrazing.jpg

She weight tapes at 500 - 520kg and is a smidge over 15.2hh, so I wonder how much she really weighs, especially as Joe weight taped at 520 and was actually 480.

Beautiful horse.

My little mare of similar build but only 14.3, weigh tapes at around 470kg. I very much doubt she is actually over 420kg.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

Carriegrazing.jpg

she is lovely :)

I have Exmoors and a lusitano. Other than that there are a lot of cobs, clydies, highlands and a QH round these parts :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks for the kind comments. If anything, she's a little too well covered in that particular photo. ;) :)

Round here Welshies of all sections are everywhere (understandable really), there is a selection of other breeds though from mini shetties to shires.

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
Interesting that you guys all have under estimates and I have over estimates using weight tapes...
Maybe Australian weight tapes are different, or maybe I'm doing it wrong..!
Joe and Savannah are endurance fit so possibly carrying less sub cut/intra abdominal fat.. The others are just bog standard fittish but not very fit...
I don't think Oz horses are very different to English ones, but do wonder if the greater influence of TB blood and less influence of Native blood mean they have less/less dense bone.
As to the Connie, she is NOTHING like I remember Connies being from my UK days! She is massive, whereas I recall UK Connies as quite lean, athletic types.
The Welshie on the other hand is lighter, finer in the head, and "prettier" than I remember Welshies being in the UK. He's definitely NOT a tough M&M sort: I think they have veered too far towards the "Australian Riding pony" type.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I used to weigh 70 TB racehorses every week, and can pretty much tell you when one is losing or gaining even a kilo per week, and estimate the weight of an unknown animal within 10kgs, but unfit hairy mixed breeds are a different matter. When I had a standardbred I used the measurement calculation on him from age 3 to age 8, and also on a NF, I felt this was pretty accurate, and both were within 10kgs of a weightape.
I am 100% sure the chestnut is less than 500kgs, more like 425-[450 if carrying more condition].

Stormynight

Visit site

Carriegrazing.jpg

She's lovely :)

I'm in awe that my 16.1 big-built Shire x weigh tapes at 520kg... I'd love to get him weighed. I'm sure it's telling me some serious porkies!!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My lot weigh the following

16hh wb retired 610....she is over weight but can't be worked due to suspensory issues and kissing spines and I can't limit her grazing as she will go nuts being in more and I'm on a livery yard. Over winter I get her down to 580ish

15:1 app, 20, having feild rest due to lameness so not I. Work but is in sparse paddock...500, perfect weight is 480/90

16:2 tb 534, needs to be about 550 but we struggle with his weight gain but he doesn't look bad

16:2 big tank is 770, he is about 40kilos over weight as had a lot of time off this past year due to torn ligament increasing his work load nicely and he is slowly losing the weight and toning up. But to be fair even at his perfect body figure last year he weighed in at 760. Muscle weighs more than fat.

My 16:3 (and still growing) 7 year old is 630 and bang on perfect

We have a weigh bridge come to the yard every six months and actually they weigh less on the tapes then the bridge.

mdfreeman37

Visit site
We've just had ours weighed on a weighbridge from a feed company

18hh Shire x warmblood 818kg (Currently stabled 24/7 due to lami and on diet) Weigh taped over 100kg less

16.2hh warmblood x tb x cob 720kg (Fit horse that competes and spot on)

15.2hh cob 628kg (Currently stabled 24/7 due to lami and on diet) Weigh taped over 80kg less.

Was actually shocked at 18hh shire x warmblood as thought she weighed closer to a ton!!

Weigh tapes seem to be a very rough guide as we have two different ones and give different results :-S

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had two weight tapes (got one free). My original one which I still use under estimated by about 30kg. The other one which I gave away over estimated by about the same.

Mine are weighed at the local horsepital so I know their actual weight. I weightape on the same day so I can then use the tape to track changes and know how far it is out.

I did have my weighed on one of the portable weigh bridges from a feed company and it over estimated significantly, I don't know if this is indicative that they are less accurate or just a mistake on the day but I am slightly skeptical now.

I have also tested a calculation that relies on taking three measurements (height, barrel and length) and was pleasantly surprised who close it was to actual weight - only about 5,6 kilos out.

Horses were
chunky tb, just over 16.2 who ranges from 560kg- to 580kg
finer tb just under 16,2 was underweight 500kg, is now about 530kg but will be more when he fills out.
17 hand wb chunky who was between 600kg underweight and 630kg about right.

Last edited: