Horse went bonkers yesterday, anyone else's horse playing up?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Captain, my 17-3hh nearly 18yo gelding was a total b*gger yesterday! He walked okay around to the indoor school, slipped on a bit of mud, righted his self , reared up on me then proceeded to throw himself round the school like a complete idiot! He did lunge properly in the end.

He is usually fine, never an issue to lead and usually a gentleman in the school. Needless to say he is going back in today to work.

Is anyone else's horse behaving in a silly way?
FDC

Puppy

Visit site
I rode my new 4 year old yesterday for the first time in a few weeks and he was blooming brilliant! :D

However my retired girl was being a nutter in the field yesterday! She was galloping full pelt round and round, in complete denial that she's an LOU case :rolleyes:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Big fuzzy is feeling really good at present & is being a bit of a tit to ride :D
Going out of yard is fine, but instead of steady trot/canter work yesterday, we were going at walking speed but in 3 time & plunging on occasions - all controllable, but was glad I must have had 2nd vision & put the M/Harboro on before we went out :)

Also been titting about in the field the past few days too on occasions - doing a bit of circuit training round little fuzzy (bemusedly watching on) and a few leapy-leapys too :D (am just glad paddock is pretty dry so isn't being cut up)

No change of miniscule bucket grub at all (if anything a bit less). Hay still the same, no 'green' grass as they are strip grazing winter paddock with fence being moved a miniscule amount. Well covered, so no concerns about weight :eek: and rugged for cleanliness only and is not cold.

So..... its just autumn nuttyness :D

Makes for my entertainment...... as am fine with the high jinks underneath me :D and ensure manners are remembered - but am not letting sister-in-law out on big fuzzy till the mode settles again.

So, yes there must be something in the air :D

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The current Appy was being a nutter yesterday and even the big girl was trying it on a bit. Again nothing too unstickable, but spooky and daft as a brush (CA as BG would never spook) The CA is in season, so that explains some of it, but even the Old Lady is behaving a little oddly, quite clingy and a bit jumpier than usual. Odd things, horses.......

jaysh

Visit site
I got thrown off yesterday, out on a ride, friends horse took fright at a rabbit shooting out, spun round, panicked my horse, she spun around, leapt off the track onto a steep bank, pulled her up and she put her head down and bronced me off. Not done anything like that before.

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
We had a whole yard full of nutters yesterday, even the little ponies! Don't know what went on to cause such upset. My TB was caked in dried sweat when I got him in just after lunch to ride out. Other horse I was going out with was trotting round it's stable. We struggled to get out the gate to go hacking once tacked up. Spinning, bucking, backwards, sideways, loud snorting! Eventually got going after seriously considering giving up. Took 2.5 miles and a fair amount of trotting before my TB would settle down again. But when we got back to the yard, they were tensing up again.

Only possible thing is we think swans from the river behind the field have been moving/flying around and upsetting them! Shall be sticking with going in the school today, muscles hurt too much from yesterday to risk another hack!

Leg_end

Visit site
Mine is being good as gold my MiLs horse has been a swine for the last few weeks! It is definitely not helping having the grass still growing!

maxapple

Visit site
My semi retired tb has forgotten he is supposed to be taking it a bit easy (he fractured his leg last year) and has pulled 2 shoes off in the last week as a result of hoolying around the field! He's having a great time though!

Puddock

Visit site
I tried to ride a video dressage test on my 20 year old!(!) yesterday. Cue medium walk down the centre line and then launch into orbit at x when asked to trot! In fairness to him, he's just had a full clip... it seems to have woken him up a bit :D

DougalJ

Visit site
My 17.2 warmblood is being a complete idiot on the lunge line at the moment....To ride him he is being his usual great self, start lunging him at something ticks off in his miniscule brain and we turn into a rodeo horse!

only_me

Visit site
Well, we have had proper frosts before now, and have only had rain recently - and Billy has been an absolute loon - has been out for nearly 3 months now and yesterday when I was checking him he was as high as a kite - very skittish and when went to run hand down legs he proceeded to leap spin and buck!!
He normally is very settled!
Either he is feeling well or is very very bored in his field :p

And YO's horses are feeling well - too well - was leading ponies up to field and one leapt forward like a pony possessed kicked and buggered off down the field :mad: At least he let me catch him and put him in his own section :p

Not sure why but very odd behavior from this weekend!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Glad it was not just the huge ginger idiot then! Took him in again today and he behaved immaculately, transitions perfect and worked hard! Fany also worked well today so all good. I think it maybe because we had a new horse, plus his fall and like someone said he may have hurt himself a bit, not lame at all though.

FDC

MelintheWoods

New User
Visit site
There's lots of shooting going on and horses can hear/sense the sounds/air pressure from many miles away. I think this may be causing normally solid horses to behave weirdly. My border collie went crazy yesterday and chewed a wooden door handle completely off. We couldn't hear a thing but next day she was similar and we heard the shooting in the distance. The horses are a little 'on the alert', but I'm lucky that my 18 yr old andalucian is truly scare proof when someone's on him - even though he's been slightly skittish in the paddock. Only advice I can offer is that if you're riding and your horse is jumpy you just breath and be as relaxed as you can and ride through whatever it is that your horse is picking up on. ie. Assume that he/she IS sensing something that you can't and remember that your horse is a flight animal. But you're his leader and if yOU'RE relaxed, then he should read from your body language that there's nothing to run from and 'follow' you calmly.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Oh yes my boy who spins, but hasn't really bucked for ages, yesterday on my lesson did a small spook in trot then went into one bucking, just before he hit the gate he ducked left bucked and dropped me on the gate, result large fluid filled lump and nice bruising on my left leg where it hit the top of the gate. A friend at the yard was also bucked off while hacking.

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Yep, lyla bronced me off this morning after... Rearing and spinning, bucking, not going forward then spin and run for home!!:mad:

Got back to yard, got back on, and went for a little plod on our own, first attempt was in company!!!

What happened to my nice lazy horse??? And bruised ribs. Again. :(

glamourpuss

Visit site
I got chucked off yesterday as well! Going over a bloody trotting pole!!
It was my 16 year old TB eventer, he leapt about 8 foot in the air over it stuck his head between his knees & did some mightily impressive twisting broncing. I didn't stand a chance. The little toad!

LizzieJ

Visit site
My two were right idiots yesterday too, galloping round like lunatics all morning and they're both old enough to know better! It's like they are when spring first appears :rolleyes:

My dog is completely hyper too!

ReggiePerrin

Visit site
I'm so pleased to see this post!! Our field of youngsters have been going potty all weekend. a few of the others have been charging around the field too. And my normally sensible boy has been chucking his head up and down for the duration of the hack and put in two bucks today in canter! Is this normal for this time of the year?!

Zarkaz

Visit site
Yep my super bombproof pony has decided he is now scared of EVERYTHING while hacking I even had to get off and lead because he kept jumping into on coming traffic! He was also very nappy in the school with my niece although she is a complete novice and thought he could take advantage lol

L&M

Visit site
I wonder if it is because the grass is still coming through with this mild spell? Ours have all been a little feisty the last week, with the shetlands re-enacting their version of grand national yesterday!

Ella19

Visit site
Yes I have a spooky pony from hell and she's grabbing the bit and taking off! Put it down to the new ns bit but actually think its the "spring" grass and weather. Even some of the bushes at the yard are in flower again thinking its spring already!