Horse who don't like the school BUT

sandr

Visit site
Need it LOL!

My boy really doesn't like being in our school, he is incredibly nappy and will put in bunny hops and just generally be an arse!
Out of the school he is an angel, id let my kids ride him!

I brought him to get my confidence back and we both desperately need some lessons, he has NO idea of an out line or anything! He has only ever been used as a happy hacker. And also i cant always hack, especially when i have the kids off school, so it would be nice to be able to work there.

So how do i get him to like working in the school? I do have an instructor who has been out a few times, but my lessons are just a miserable time for us both, we spend 35 mins off a 45 min lesson just getting him to go forwards and not backwards, and it doesn't help my confidence.

Help!!!

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
vary the work is probably most important.. do poles, jumps(if you jump), going in and out of cones, doing circles, figures of 8, surpentines and just generally anything to keep his mind off of being a sod really he will get used to it. it sounds like he is just being a spoilt brat lol

RachelB

Visit site
Back/tack/teeth checked/general MOT done? Sorry, always have to start with the obvious
smile.gif

Have you got a field you could school in? Some horses tend to work better when they don't feel enclosed within an arena. Does he only do it with you, or does he do it with anyone who tries to school him?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Build the time up that you spend in there.

Go in for 5 mins at a time only - and then go out for a hack. Do this for a few weeks - and then increase it 10 mins and so on.

All you have to do is go in - walk a circuit on both reins and them come out.

sandr

Visit site
Yes, sorry forgot to say he does have a problem with his SI, but it is managed by my vet & physio and he is pain free.

Does it for anyone, i did ask a few people to ride him just to check, but he was the same.

We don't have any fields to school in unfortunately, only the school

dozzie

Visit site
Have you tried him in other schools?

A friend horse is really difficult in ones with a tarmac base under the surface. Will throw himself on the floor!

username223

Visit site
have you tried lunging him? if he lunges well then lunge him at the far end of the school. you can really get after them on the lunge and they HAVE to go forward and if he's nappy then there is no one on top to get hurt/lose confidence etc, then once he is happy lunging then you could get someone to lunge him with you on top, then when he's happy doing that you can take the lunge away. keep the sessions short though
laugh.gif
good luck

Parkranger

Visit site
Oscar was a complete tit in the school when I got him - napped badly and had generally no manners. EVERY time we went past the gate he'd nap.

Took him back to basics, lunged him and got him listening to me and now he's fine!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
how is he in there loose schooling or on lunge (without gadgets) ? does he move the same then as he does in the field? some horses will try and 'protect' themselves on a deep surface-deep sand is hard work! may not be that but worth thinking about.