Horse with broken tooth ,stopping food build up.

debsflo

Visit site
My 21 year old mare has a slab fracture which has been stable and myself ,vet and equine dentist have agreed to leave as ok at present. She is of course regularly checked and may need it dealing with but given her age we dont want to start messing about. Recently she is getting build up at that side so i suspect it fills up in the gap. She is currently on longer grass in the day,soaked hay to supplement that and haylage at night, she is eating well and holding her weight. Any ideas on how to clear the food build up ? aT PRESENT I AM WASHING HER MOUTH WITH A LARGE PLASTIC SYRINGE AND COULD TRY THE HOSE AS DENTIST SUGGESTED BUT SHES NOT IMPRESSED THERE MUST BE HORSES WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS AND I CANT GET DENTIST OUT EVERY TIME IT NEEDS CLEANING. ANY BRIGHT IDEAS OR EXPERIENCE...OOPS CAPITAL LOCK..

Morland

Visit site
My old horse has a similar problem, had 2 teeth out last spring. I had to use a hosepipe to wash out the gaps while it was healing, and there was no infection as a result. She wasn't too impressed either, but it is a soft hosepipe and she got to quite like it. I just rinse out her mouth every week or so now. The flow of water from a hose pipe is gentler than the syringe, perhaps. I do get a bit wet up my sleeve though!

dollyanna

Visit site
I used to use a hose, until I realised my pony was doing it herself - when you tied her up she would take the whole spare part of the lead rope into her mouth, pull back a few times, then spit it out complete with spare food! She did this for years, I never had to clean her tooth again. Not much help to you though, unless you see yours apparently trying to untie themselves - just watch on the offchance they are flossing....

LD&S

Visit site
I use a long match stick withy the end cut into a wedge as my mare has a gap and gets a build up though only if the grass is quite short, she lets me clean all her front top teeth and am slowly starting on the bottom just incase I need to do them as well in the future

zangels

Visit site
My daughters pony had this exact problem. We also used a large syringe to clear out the debri, it was a nightmare and didn't really achieve anything much. We have given in and had it removed. If we hadn't the vet was going to let us buy one if there big syringe things they use when they come and clear it and some of the wash. They also told us that one of the weed killer pump things with a small nozzle on the end would work very well, obviously a new unused one.