Horse with Cushings advice

DesertAuction

Visit site
I was wondering what to feed a 12 year old mare in moderate work with cushings disease? I have only started full loaning her a month ago, so I’m still in the process of taking Over her care. At the moment she doesn’t get anything but I feel that she could do with a little weight gain and conditioning, and also a bit of energy as she’s quite lazy. She has been off work for a while so hasn’t needed feed till now. I had in mind a low sugar balancer? Anyone have recommendations of which brand/ type of balancer?

I also wondered if they can have treats? I always thought for Cushings it’s a no, but her owner feeds her treats all the time (regular horse treats, apples, carrots etc), she also gets a tablet once a day to manage her cushings which gets stuffed into an apple, so I assume a small amount of treats is ok? Like after riding and I give her a few treats? I tend to get the baileys 5kg tubs of treats for my previous horses, and have heard they are quite a healthy treat, is this true and can she have them?

thanks in advanced

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if she hasnt been in any sort of work she wont be fit and the heat will make her slow. you need to be very careful when feeding a cushings horse and they are better a bit lean rather than a bit fat. have you discussed changing her food with the owner? if not i would suggest you do. if you havent had experience with cushings you may not know that laminitis is a danger. is she on any medication for cushings? i used baileys lo cal balancer for my mare and added fast fibre in the winter to stop her dropping weight...

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Personally I'd treat as laminitic, so no/as little sugar as possible. My friend found D&H cushcare good for her horse when he dropped weight in winter.

hobo

Visit site
My 22 year old in light work has a handful of HiFi and a half portion of Baileys lo cal balancer to hide her cushings tablet and other supplements in. She is allowed 2 or 3 of the baileys treats after a ride. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed with restricted grazing and at the moment 2kgs of hay when in for the day she is staying healthy and stable in her weight. As you think yours is running a little light a little bit more hay should be ok. Make sure anything you do feed is endorsed by the laminitis trust.

View

Visit site
I’d echo the advice to talk to her owner before changing feed.

splashgirl45 also makes a very good point regarding her level of fitness and the heat affecting her energy levels. Build up her fitness gradually and see what happens when the weather cools down before making any significant changes.

DesertAuction

Visit site
if she hasnt been in any sort of work she wont be fit and the heat will make her slow. you need to be very careful when feeding a cushings horse and they are better a bit lean rather than a bit fat. have you discussed changing her food with the owner? if not i would suggest you do. if you havent had experience with cushings you may not know that laminitis is a danger. is she on any medication for cushings? i used baileys lo cal balancer for my mare and added fast fibre in the winter to stop her dropping weight...
Yes I am taking in slow with her, and her owner was the one suggesting putting her on a feed.
yes she gets Cushing tablets (not sure of the name

DesertAuction

Visit site
I’d echo the advice to talk to her owner before changing feed.

splashgirl45 also makes a very good point regarding her level of fitness and the heat affecting her energy levels. Build up her fitness gradually and see what happens when the weather cools down before making any significant changes.
We are in the very north of Scotland so we haven’t been as affected by the heat. I have been taking it slow and I am currently only walking and trotting still. I still feel she could use a feed at this point. Her owner was the one who suggested it. She hasn’t been moved yards so owner is fully involved

DesertAuction

Visit site
Maybe should have clarified by moderate work I am more thinking ahead for the future. I am currently riding her 4-5 times per week and walking and trotting only for 20-30 mins. Plus lots of hacking out and Hill work. My plan with her is to eventually do novice/ elementary dressage

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sounds like you are doing the right things. glad to hear owner is involved and you are taking it slowly . her energy levels should improve/ is the half an hour in the arena and is this where she is slow, if so its much harder for an unfit horse to do school work. i would just hack most of the time and maybe in the school once a week just for a short time and do lots of changing rein in different ways and lots of walk/trot transitions to give her a bit of interest. good luck

Hackback

Visit site
When I wanted to change my Cushings horse's feed I rang round or messaged the main feed companies, and they recommended feeds and sent me samples to try. They all recommended low starch/low sugar feeds, even though my vet said it wasn't necessary because my horse has never shown any signs of laminitis.

DesertAuction

Visit site
When I wanted to change my Cushings horse's feed I rang round or messaged the main feed companies, and they recommended feeds and sent me samples to try. They all recommended low starch/low sugar feeds, even though my vet said it wasn't necessary because my horse has never shown any signs of laminitis.

thanks, I’m not actually sure if she’s had laminitis before? Will ask her owner. I wasn’t there when she was diagnosed last year so I havent gotten vet advice, so I am always nervous of feeding the wrong things