Horse with rather dodgy jumping style

Mike007

Visit site
Not sure how else best describes the problem. I took a hard fall some while ago when the horse didnt take off properly at a solid xc fence (not particularly big ) I put it down to weather conditions ,slippery going, no studs. But the horse has a history of rapping similar jumps HARD. I have replaced the rider :eek: (myself,) and watched better riders jump him .The upshot of it all is that anything with poles ,fixed or unfixed ,he regards as a sort of canter pole and his jump (for want of a better word) is more of an airborne canter/gallop .He does not tuck ,at all and even extends his leade hoof out as he takes off. :eek: . Not exactly great when the fences are solid. Yet I have pictures of him jumping large hedges with both forelegs firmly tucked in a classic position.
We took him XC schooling to Coombelands today .(YAY SPRING IS HERE AT LAST). Nobody could describe this horse as anything other than honest and game. But the "Hoof of Death " as it has come to be known as ,was well in evidence. Then we spotted a curious thing, any fence with even a smattering of brush ,was jumped cleanly and classicly but anything with poles was simply treated as a rather high canter pole:eek:
Well I cant blame the riders ,though I would have accepted if it were just me that had the problem.
He is a Big horse and very powerfull, yet he never seems out of control , just that when it comes to anything with poles ,he has four left feet. Thoughts and suggestions please.

Lyle

Visit site
Sounds interesting! Obviously the horse has the capacity to rotate his shoulders and fold his legs. How much grid work has he done? I'm just thinking short one stride combinations and bounces might force the take off to be closer to the fence, and force him to fold his legs rather than throw them forward. Does he lengthen the last stride normally? Getting flat and a little off the ideal take off distance. Perhaps hedges/brush, which are normally larger than just solid jumps are commanding a bit more respect due to the height. How does he jump a nice square oxer?

Mike007

Visit site
He has done little if any grid work, a fair bit of draghunting ,with the hoof of death appearing frequently. He seems to consistently get the stride wrong (or he thinks it is wrong ) and chips in a short stride even if that is prettywell impossible . It is a bit nerve wracking when the forelegs have been only an inch or two from the jump and clatter over the poles . As I said I would happily blame my riding if others didnt experience the same.He will jump a nice square oxer either well, like a demented stag or like a bulldozer,The only thing he never does is stop. I sometimes think that failing to refuse is almost a problem with him. If a fence scares him ,he will still jump it but you have to show it to him carefully the second time . I dont think any of this is because he has been forced to jump and fears the consequences of stopping. He adores jumping and is not sour or jaded in any way.
He seems to manage doubles far better than I would have expected for his limited showjumping experience.

Last edited:

dieseldog

Visit site
Is he an ex racer? Maybe talk to someone who has experience of retraining hurdlers? He sounds like he has raced or jumped lots of hedges in the past? What did he do before you had him?

Mike007

Visit site
Definately no racer ,this one . Irish Draught,Probably has "hunted in Ireland " as a youngster. Bought from dealing yard ,prettywell straight off the boat. Had had very little schooling .I could understand if he was simply green but its this jekyl and hyde, jumps like a stag over anything with a bit of brush on top, regardless of how solid below ,yet totaly fails if its not there.