Horse with sensitive gut

Scot123

Visit site
Hi. I have a horse with a very sensitive gut. The vets have ruled out anything 'major' eg ulcers, and have come to the conclusion that he's just sensitive!

I have tried a 6 week course of Protexin Gut Balancer but there has been no difference which I'm disappointed about as a lot of people seem to find this helps. I was wondering about a basic yea sacc supplement?

What do people think? And if so, every manufacturer seems to have a different way of expressing the amounts of yea sacc in their products so I can't decide which would be best to buy. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Apparently, not all “live” yeast supplements are live by the time they reach the hind gut as the acid kills it. Science Supplements do a one with a special formula to protect it so it remains live as it passes through the gut.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would want to find out what he is sensitive to, by taking his diet back to hay only, for about 3 weeks to get everything out of the system. Then build it back up, one ingredient at a time. I only ever feed one ingredient supplements.

Scot123

Visit site
Thank you for your advice. In the summer he is on grass (24hr turnout) with a lite balancer and he has been, in general, without problem.

Going from grass in summer to hay in winter (24hr turnout in a large arena) definitely triggered it this year.

Haylage was a major issue!

But unfortunately if hay and haylage do it for him, are there any other alternative? Or perhaps I hope this is where some gut support might help.

That's what I was wondering with regards to the yea sacc, like with human pro/pre biotics, I imagine some are better quality than others?

vanrim

Visit site
My horses have been diagnosed with possible gastric reflux. They are always worse in winter on hay so this year I have tried substituting some of the hay with grass chaff. Interestingly they always eat the grass chaff first and I do think it is helping.