Horse won't cross over left hind, seems very stiff, no obvious injury and not lame

sarah&max

Visit site
Hi All - My 10 year old gelding has started going very stiff in the hind end over the last 6 weeks. I have had a chiro out, Equine TTouch, saddle and teeth check, and no one can find anything obvious. He has a slightly dipped back, but no pain along it with palpitation etc. He is weak behind so i know some specific muscle building schooling may help, but I have done this and do not seem to be getting any results. He will gladly cross his right hind over his left when turning on a tight circle, but I have to really ask him to cross his left over, and he swishes his tail with it also. He just generally seems stiff all the way along when riding. Any one have any ideas what it might be, or what i should do? I am thinking of giving him some time off, as I have had him since he was 6 months old, and hes never really had any time off over the 6 years hes been riding, and then starting some sort of top line / muscle building rehab programme maybe, with lunging and long lining etc, pole work, or should I go straight down the vet route? ps i have started using a magnetic rug, and I can visily see his hind end muscles really relax after use, and his hind legs are much easier to lift up and stretch behind him. Any info greatly appreciated. xx

KautoStar1

Visit site
call the vet. Chiro, Equine TTouch, saddler and dentist are not qualified to give a lameness assessment. You can't rehab an injury properly unless you know what you are rehabbing and the specific exercises needed. So, call the vet.

Leandy

Visit site
Sounds unsound and in pain to me and that he has been for up to 6 weeks and you are still riding him?? Stop working him and get the vet out asap. Sheesh.