Horse won't move out of walk - Pain related?

ff93

Visit site
I've got an 11 year old Belgian WB x TB who I have owned since a 5 year old. Over the years she has cost me a small fortune in vets fees, from a tendon tear to colic surgery and a few things in between (including ulcers)! She can be quite hot to ride but does generally enjoy her work especially jumping in which she has successfully competed up to Newcomer level. She is very quick thinking and easily bored so every ride needs to be a bit different, lots of transitions etc and we're lucky enough to have a few arenas so we keep it varied.
My point of this post is over the last few months she has become more and more reluctant to work until around 3-4 weeks ago where i just cannot get her out of walk. I was jumping her up until around 6 weeks ago but only round 90cm and she seemed like it was a real effort! If i ask her to trot or even apply more leg she immediately comes to a halt and continuously tail swishes. She can be very nappy and loves to walk backwards to evade leg aids etc but this really isn't napping as she just wants to stand still, not by a gate or entrance/exit and no spinning or walking backwards, literally just wants to stand.
I've wormed her and tried her on a week's dose of Sand Out as directed by my vet - Both of which have made no difference. Also had my physio out and she couldn't find any soreness.
I've also had my vet out and he saw me ride, lunge and trot up etc and couldn't find anything physically wrong but did notice how 'quiet' she is, as she is usually just difficult to manage and co-operate. He took bloods and tested for infection and inflammation in muscles, kidneys, liver and gut which came back normal, as well as a cushings test which was negative. We have now started a 2 week bute trial to see if she improves (2 a day). I am 6 days in and so far there seems to be no difference at all. They have even been stabled for the last 3 days due to so much rain (usually go out for around 3-4 hours this time of year) but she's still just as quiet in herself and reluctant to move. Just to add, she doesn't look any different in herself, still looks in good condition, good coat, muscle, hooves etc.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Please help!

BBP

Visit site
Mine did exactly this when he had pyloric ulcers and hind gut issues. Was fine to touch all over, not grumpy, fab weight, shiny coat, on full turnout and ad lib forage, but would stop as soon as I asked for anything other than walk.

ff93

Visit site
Mine did exactly this when he had pyloric ulcers and hind gut issues. Was fine to touch all over, not grumpy, fab weight, shiny coat, on full turnout and ad lib forage, but would stop as soon as I asked for anything other than walk.
Thanks @BBP - How were they treated? With Sucralfate?
We treated her for stomach ulcers around this time last year but her symptoms were very different, rearing, napping and very grumpy. We treated her with Omeprazole (via injection as she's so fussy with syringes etc) and also i think we did maybe 4 weeks of sucralfate. So could well be the issue! Will discuss this with my vet and see what he says.

BBP

Visit site
Thanks @BBP - How were they treated? With Sucralfate?
We treated her for stomach ulcers around this time last year but her symptoms were very different, rearing, napping and very grumpy. We treated her with Omeprazole (via injection as she's so fussy with syringes etc) and also i think we did maybe 4 weeks of sucralfate. So could well be the issue! Will discuss this with my vet and see what he says.
We used omeprazole and sucralfate. I think he was on them for 2 months. I also used Equishure for balancing hind gut, which seemed to really help. (I started this after I finished the other two. He was waaayyy better after the first two proper meds in terms of he was happy to trot, ears forwards, but I felt he wasn’t moving too freely still, a bit stuffy. Once I added the equishure he seemed much more free.

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Ulcers - same as the other comments. My horse was the exact same, vet couldnt figure it out and then the last resort was to scope and they found 4 small ulcers on the outlet of his stomach. After treatment he's back to normal. x

ff93

Visit site
My PSD horse didn’t want to come out of walk. She trotted up sound for the vet and on the lunge.
I wouldn’t rule out a suspensory issue based on my experience. If you get no joy down the ulcer route, it might be worth pushing for a scan.
Hi @scats - Thank you for this, something to consider. Although would she not improve during the bute trial if it was PSD?

ff93

Visit site
We used omeprazole and sucralfate. I think he was on them for 2 months. I also used Equishure for balancing hind gut, which seemed to really help. (I started this after I finished the other two. He was waaayyy better after the first two proper meds in terms of he was happy to trot, ears forwards, but I felt he wasn’t moving too freely still, a bit stuffy. Once I added the equishure he seemed much more free.
@BBP Thank you for this! I have spoken with my vet today and mentioned hindgut ulcers but he said this would have shown on the blood tests. Was yours blood tested? How did you diagnose?

BBP

Visit site
@BBP Thank you for this! I have spoken with my vet today and mentioned hindgut ulcers but he said this would have shown on the blood tests. Was yours blood tested? How did you diagnose?
Hind gut was more of a guess on my part really. I tried the supplement and it helped so I figured there was a hind gut issue. Not ulcers, but an imbalance acidity wise perhaps. I scoped first stomach ulcers though and like gingertrotter they found a few small areas of ulceration near the pylorus. Looked tiny and not all that bad but clearly very painful when I then saw the difference in him once he scoped clear.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Your vet is right in that blood work should show up ulcers, but it won't in all cases, especially if it's stasis (hindgut acidosis/HGA) rather than severe ulceration. You could have an ultrasound performed to check for mucosal thickening, test the faeces for pH, or just treat as for HGA (low grain diet, Equishure, probiotics).

For my mare, Equishure did bugger all, I have to say. Just keeping her off the grass and adding haylage balancer (she wasn't on haylage) did the trick for her.