Horse wormers, manure and dogs

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I read (on here somewhere) about not letting dogs eat horse manure because horse wormers are toxic to dogs.
A number of the horses on the yard where I keep my mare have recently been wormed. I was planning to pick up some manure for the allotment from the yard but then thought of our dog - we do take him to the allotment with us sometimes. Does the wormer biodegrade and become less toxic over time? If so, how long before it's not toxic? Trying to keep the dog away from manure at the allotment isn't really an option as the birds can fling it about so it could end up anywhere.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't think anyone really knows how long they persist in droppings tbh- are you going to compost it or could you pick some well rotted stuff? I am not a gardener but the wormers aren't that good for insects (don't know what they do to garden worms).

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
the fresh manure is not good for your garden so you would be better taking some that has already rotted or rather than risk your dog you can buy fertiliser at the garden centre
We rot the fresh stuff ourselves (sorry, should have made that clear), I picked some up last year when we were between dogs and that's what we spread on the allotment this year. What I'm collecting this year will rot for next season.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
could you put a layer of old carpet on the new stuff so birds cant spread it or maybe have it completely closed in or does it need to see the sun to rot down

Roxylola

Visit site
Your main problem is specific to certain wormers and certain breeds of dog - collies I think primarily and ivermectin wormers. Obviously it's generally not fab but I think if your dog is not a risk breed and the manure is allowed to rot you should be fine

Clodagh

Visit site
I think, as MOC says, the wormer will kill earthworms and other soil reliant creatures, so could you collect some after a break from wormers?

oldie48

Visit site
Your main problem is specific to certain wormers and certain breeds of dog - collies I think primarily and ivermectin wormers. Obviously it's generally not fab but I think if your dog is not a risk breed and the manure is allowed to rot you should be fine
Friend almost lost her JR when it ate some wormer, literally just a lick.