Horseback Safari (pictures)

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
I have just got back from a horseback safari in South Africa. For anyone considering going on one, do it! I couldn't recommend it more, I'm even hoping to go back again next year!

We stayed at Ant's Nest which is about 3 hours from Johannesburg. They have no big cats (except the occasional leopard) and the horses are turned out in the bush amongst the other animals so they're all very used to each other, it's amazing how close you can get when out riding.

We got to ride amongst rhino, giraffe, zebra, buffalo, various species of antelope, warthog, wildebeest, it was just amazing. We got to see the rhinos being fed one evening at Ant's house and even got to attend an impala capture and release to expand the gene pool on the reserve.

A few pictures for anyone interested...

B8D6DB9C-8404-434B-B014-4F4BBCD15BBA.jpg

19FD6B05-6AB4-4C92-A881-573A2CF60D16.jpg

A929754E-D60A-4FAD-AC12-2F73ACBE7BF8.jpg

E9916879-C1EB-4C6A-B1E1-478FEDFD8070.jpg

63C4DFF5-3912-446A-A54A-4EC75BD241A3.jpg

teacups

Visit site
Wow. That must have been amazing. I love the earshot of you riding towards the giraffe...and the zebra one, and.. etc!

lozloz1

www.facebook.com
That's so cool and I'm glad you had a good time. Mum and I stayed at the Hill for a week in April and it was also a holiday of a lifetime for us. We went to a kudu capture. We couldn't believe it was as good as advertised! I'd love to go back one day.

13043337_10153702688636925_8392259148388993496_n.jpg

13010842_10153702712086925_4869572819074779514_n.jpg

13000260_10153702698921925_603709679133526370_n.jpg

12994342_10153697736266925_8889227817123692187_n.jpg

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
That's so cool and I'm glad you had a good time. Mum and I stayed at the Hill for a week in April and it was also a holiday of a lifetime for us. We went to a kudu capture. We couldn't believe it was as good as advertised! I'd love to go back one day.

13043337_10153702688636925_8392259148388993496_n.jpg

13010842_10153702712086925_4869572819074779514_n.jpg

13000260_10153702698921925_603709679133526370_n.jpg

12994342_10153697736266925_8889227817123692187_n.jpg

Wow, it looks so much greener in your pictures! If I do go back I might go a bit earlier as it would be interesting to see it like that, even just a couple of months clearly makes a difference. We did go for a ride up to the hill one day, it's lovely up there too, great views!

BBP

Visit site
Wow looks fantastic! What were the horses like to ride? I did one in Namibia on endurance bred Arabians which was brilliant, we would canter for miles on end. Riding amongst herds of giraffe was my favourite.

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
Wow looks fantastic! What were the horses like to ride? I did one in Namibia on endurance bred Arabians which was brilliant, we would canter for miles on end. Riding amongst herds of giraffe was my favourite.

They've got a good range of horses as they also cater for those who can't ride. We did a lot of cantering, going fast and for long periods and the ones we rode were great! It's just amazing being that close to such beautiful animals isn't it.

claracanter

Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread OP. This is something I have been thinking about doing and now you've given me some ideas of where to actually do it and what to expect.

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread OP. This is something I have been thinking about doing and now you've given me some ideas of where to actually do it and what to expect.

Definitely go for it! It's amazing!

What I liked about Ant's was that it was all quite laid back in picking and choosing what you did & when, you picked your morning activity at dinner the night before and then your afternoon activity at lunch which I thought was great, if you didn't want to ride you could go on a drive, walk, run, cycle, chill by the pool, see a snake show or do an offsite trip. We rode morning and afternoon most days except when we did a couple of offsite trips but sometimes joined the non-riders for our afternoon ride if we were a bit sore as it was more chilled out. I'm not sure what other safari places do but in Croatia last year it was a trail ride so, while I had a great time, we had to get from A to B each day and was therefore much less flexible and we had very little relaxation time, it was nice to have options this year.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Funnily enough, I was at Ant's Hill at the same time as lozloz1 and her Mum (hi!!). I've also ridden at Horizon (South Africa), Limpopo Horse Safaris (Botswana) and Safaris Unlimited (Kenya) amongst others. Can't beat it!

Here's my fave pic from Ant's Nest...

13102697_10156841197255203_3172678389529883550_n.jpg

Mad_Cow347 - so glad that you enjoyed it. Most people that go can't wait to rebook! :)

Last edited:

lozloz1

www.facebook.com
Funnily enough, I was at Ant's Hill at the same time as lozloz1 and her Mum (hi!!). I've also ridden at Horizon (South Africa), Limpopo Horse Safaris (Botswana) and Safaris Unlimited (Kenya) amongst others. Can't beat it!

Hello! Got a bit of an Ants alumni going on here! Your trip sounded absolutely incredible.

Our holiday also made it on to Africa Geographic's blog and you can all read more here if you're interested http://africageographic.com/blog/horseback-safari-waterberg/ :)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

Mad_Cow347 - so glad that you enjoyed it. Most people that go can't wait to rebook! :)

A Botswana safari is on my bucket list. Was it good? I'm looking at one where non-riders are catered for as well.

only_me

Visit site
Loving the photos! Safaris on horse back are the only way to do it :D

These are a couple of mine from Kenya
image_zpsapzmujpz.jpeg

image_zps44m9lbhh.jpeg

Botswana, and masi Mara are also on my bucket list :D

Annagain

Visit site
This is probably a really daft question but how hot was it? I'd love to go but I'm really not very good in the heat, I often get a bit dizzy just wandering about a market or something! It's the one thing putting me off.

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
This is probably a really daft question but how hot was it? I'd love to go but I'm really not very good in the heat, I often get a bit dizzy just wandering about a market or something! It's the one thing putting me off.

Last week the day temperature was early-20s but it was pretty chilly at night, I was wearing 2 jumpers at breakfast and dinner. They said it gets very hot in their summer months (our winter) so I would say go this time of year as it was warm but not too hot. The staff were all laughing us sunbathing one day, while they all had fleeces and hats on!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Hello! Got a bit of an Ants alumni going on here! Your trip sounded absolutely incredible.

Our holiday also made it on to Africa Geographic's blog and you can all read more here if you're interested http://africageographic.com/blog/horseback-safari-waterberg/ :)

Thanks, Lauren! I actually already saw your blog and read it with interest. :D That's really exciting to be included!

I'm off to ride in Portugal next Monday, back to Croatia and Bosnia in August, probably Ireland in September, India in February and then I'm plotting the Kalahari Desert and Okavango Delta in combination for August/September 2017.

If anyone has any riding holiday related questions then please feel free to PM me, as I sell them for a living, but don't want to be advertising on here. :)

Rowreach - lots of the safaris cater just as well to non-riders, but for Botswana you'd probably be looking at the Delta.

annagain - the heat depends on whereabouts in Africa. For places like Ants mentioned in this topic, you would have a wonderful time in their winter season from say May to July. Lovely riding temperatures and not too hot, plus it's their low season so cheaper prices.

If you go somewhere like the Masai Mara then they're close to the equator and it's more stable throughout the year. :)

Kaylum

Visit site

That is quite an amazing picture. Don't the horses get scared?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
That is quite an amazing picture. Don't the horses get scared?

Thank you! Despite all my horses adventures, riding with rhino was top of my bucket list and it was so exciting. Their future looks bleak and I feel quite privileged to have seen them and to have hopefully played a teeny tiny part in their conservation.

The horses at Ant's Nest/Hill (effectively two lodges on the same reserve) live out in the bush with the game, so they are really quite used to each other. Aside from the occasional leopard there are no big cats in this region and so the horses don't have any predators and can roam the bush. They are brought in twice a day to be fed and checked and the horses that will be ridden stay in whilst the others are turned back out. Of course the wildlife needs to be respected, especially buffalo and rhino there, but the guides are really knowledgeable and know how to read their body language.

On the safaris with more dangerous game, like the cats and elephants, the horses are introduced to them over time. Of course they usually always maintain a certain alertness in the presence of animals like that (which is good!) but many of them are really quite brave. :)

elisebev

Visit site
I rode with hollywoozle at limpopo and horizon back in april.

For anyone interested, here is a link to my photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156844280655319.1073741845.724470318&type=1&l=4bdaa16f84

We all had an amazing time - there is something so special about riding amongst the wildlife - cantering with giraffes and zebras cant be beaten and its not often you can sunbath by the pool whilst an elephant strolls by. Ive been fortunate enough to do a few different safaris over the years (this was my 2nd time to limpopo). Botswana is definately my favourite. Im hoping to join holywoozle on her africa trip next year.

For anyone who wants to do a safari, definately do it. You will love it Just be aware that once you have been once, you will be completely addicted and want to go again and again

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Haha, Elise, trust you to join in. The riding holiday addict! ;)

Mad_Cow347 - did you have a favourite guide and a favourite horse? I stayed at Hill and rode several different horses there and then just had an evening ride with Ant over at the nest, riding Fugly the Friesian, hehe.

only_me

Visit site
When are we going??!! :D

We could organise a NI trip, Botswana/Okavango first perhaps? It might be wet but can't get any wetter than here :p
I enjoyed Kenya though - was right on the equator at base of mt Kenya. chasing zebra on horseback & then walking horses over a cliff to see the lions - nothing better :D

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Oooh yes yes yes, and you are right it can't be much wetter than here, I am only just drying out from this morning. It was meant to be my birthday trip in 2014 but it never happened. It could now though ....

(that was meant to include quotes from Elise and Only_Me but it didn't)

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
Haha, Elise, trust you to join in. The riding holiday addict! ;)

Mad_Cow347 - did you have a favourite guide and a favourite horse? I stayed at Hill and rode several different horses there and then just had an evening ride with Ant over at the nest, riding Fugly the Friesian, hehe.

We rode most days with Sam who was brilliant, he knows so much about the wildlife and is a great animal tracker, Squiree was also great, probably one of the funniest people I've ever met. They were all great though, it was just like being amongst friends you've known for years. We rode with Ant one morning which was good fun, we had been warned he rode fast before hand but he does go! Do you know who else went out with you and Ant from the Nest?

I rode quite a few different horses but had a cute little grey called Caleb a few times who was very sweet but speedy when we needed him to be. My sister liked Rafiji, who apparently gives no warning he wants to roll in the water so when she thought she was giving him his reins for a drink she ended up taking a dip! She just didn't take him near water the next few times she rode him.

Wiehen rode Fugly on our last day I think, we definitely discussed that he was in no way fugly!

Riding holidays are addictive! I've done two so far, Croatia and Ant's and definitely want to do more! I think I may go back to Ant's next year though... How hot was it in April? And were there many bugs when you were out there?