Horseback Safari (pictures)

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
We rode most days with Sam who was brilliant, he knows so much about the wildlife and is a great animal tracker, Squiree was also great, probably one of the funniest people I've ever met. They were all great though, it was just like being amongst friends you've known for years. We rode with Ant one morning which was good fun, we had been warned he rode fast before hand but he does go! Do you know who else went out with you and Ant from the Nest?

I rode quite a few different horses but had a cute little grey called Caleb a few times who was very sweet but speedy when we needed him to be. My sister liked Rafiji, who apparently gives no warning he wants to roll in the water so when she thought she was giving him his reins for a drink she ended up taking a dip! She just didn't take him near water the next few times she rode him.

Wiehen rode Fugly on our last day I think, we definitely discussed that he was in no way fugly!

Riding holidays are addictive! I've done two so far, Croatia and Ant's and definitely want to do more! I think I may go back to Ant's next year though... How hot was it in April? And were there many bugs when you were out there?

Great to hear that you had a good time with the guides. My customer and I had a private ride with Ant which was very speedy indeed, as suspected, hehe! I rode a super horse at the Hill called Noosa who loved to roll in the water too. When we went swimming in one of the lakes they told me that she would roll with me on top and I should just sit astride whilst she did it... it was very funny! She would just get down and wriggle on her side with me on top, then get up again!

April was great riding weather for the most part! Most days quite hot and sunny but nothing killer (I'm very fair and managed with no problems at all). No bugs at all really, I didn't get bitten once. :)

Whereabouts in Croatia have you been? It's one of our best-selling countries for sure, people just love it there!

Edit: I see that you book with Unicorn and so I guess that rode at Petar's place in Istria when you went to Croatia, a really wonderful location! Which horse did you ride there? I rode Zen and Aura when I went in June 2015 and loved it. I've also ridden in the Dalmatia region and then up in central Croatia, not too far from Zagreb.

Last edited:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I told a fib in the post above (and it's too late to edit it again), there was a second guide on our ride with Ant but I've totally forgotten his name I'm afraid! I'll have to go back to find out... ;)

elisebev

Visit site
I'm off to ride in Portugal next Monday, back to Croatia and Bosnia in August, probably Ireland in September, India in February and then I'm plotting the Kalahari Desert and Okavango Delta in combination for August/September 2017If anyone has any riding holiday related questions then please feel free to PM me, as I sell them for a living, but don't want to be advertising on here

I keep trying to steal Hollywoozles job but so far no luck. I'll keep trying though

TheSaddleLady

Visit site
I cannot tell you how jealous I am! That's a dream of mine.
I've ridden on beaches of Barbados and Spain for years (used to live in both countries) but Africa is just in a league of it's own.

Loving all the photos! They'll keep me sane as I'm staring at the walls of a London office!

muddygreymare

Visit site
Is it bad that I have bookmarked this thread to remind me to show it to my boyfriend and drop some serious hints about ideas for our next holiday? :p All the photos look amazing, looks like great fun!

elisebev

Visit site
Is it bad that I have bookmarked this thread to remind me to show it to my boyfriend and drop some serious hints about ideas for our next holiday? :p All the photos look amazing, looks like great fun!

I can let you see lots of pics of other safaris I've done if it will help your case (can you tell I'm bored at work)

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
Great to hear that you had a good time with the guides. My customer and I had a private ride with Ant which was very speedy indeed, as suspected, hehe! I rode a super horse at the Hill called Noosa who loved to roll in the water too. When we went swimming in one of the lakes they told me that she would roll with me on top and I should just sit astride whilst she did it... it was very funny! She would just get down and wriggle on her side with me on top, then get up again!

April was great riding weather for the most part! Most days quite hot and sunny but nothing killer (I'm very fair and managed with no problems at all). No bugs at all really, I didn't get bitten once. :)

Whereabouts in Croatia have you been? It's one of our best-selling countries for sure, people just love it there!

Edit: I see that you book with Unicorn and so I guess that rode at Petar's place in Istria when you went to Croatia, a really wonderful location! Which horse did you ride there? I rode Zen and Aura when I went in June 2015 and loved it. I've also ridden in the Dalmatia region and then up in central Croatia, not too far from Zagreb.

They obviously have a few water lovers then! No one warned my sister, she just thought he wanted a drink and he went down for a roll, we were all laughing (including my sister) and both David and Ant turned to me and said "yea, we should have warned her about that".

Ok, maybe I'll consider going a bit earlier next year if I go then, the idea of it being really hot and there being loads of bugs puts me off going in their summer but I would live to see it at a different time of year! It looks a bit greener in your photos so maybe even a couple of months would make a bit of difference.

Yes I went to Petar's in Istria, it is great there too! I rode a little black gelding called Junior. Croatia is a beautiful country, I'm not surprised it's so popular.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
They obviously have a few water lovers then! No one warned my sister, she just thought he wanted a drink and he went down for a roll, we were all laughing (including my sister) and both David and Ant turned to me and said "yea, we should have warned her about that".

Ok, maybe I'll consider going a bit earlier next year if I go then, the idea of it being really hot and there being loads of bugs puts me off going in their summer but I would live to see it at a different time of year! It looks a bit greener in your photos so maybe even a couple of months would make a bit of difference.

Yes I went to Petar's in Istria, it is great there too! I rode a little black gelding called Junior. Croatia is a beautiful country, I'm not surprised it's so popular.

Ooh, I remember Junior very well, my customer Staffan rode him and enjoyed him a lot. :)

Yes, I would say to give April or around that time a go next time. You could also spend some time at the Hill too perhaps if you wanted a little variety? I'd love to go again sometime!