Horseback Safari

Anna*

Visit site
Okay - so I’m booking one, after years of it being in my bucket list!

Would love your recommendations - where did you go? Who was it with? What time of year? What did you see?

Thank you!

bja_belle

Visit site
Been to "Wait a Little" in South Africa. Very "sporty" so not for the beginner/nervous rider/unfit rider as lots of long canters, jumping of small logs and weaving through the bush on beautifully trained horses and Gerti and Philip are wonderful hosts. Saw the Big 5 on horse back, as well as hippo, and many types of antelope etc. Went in late July as it was holiday after a work trip, so not much water around at that time, and in on my list to go again when the rains have been.

BBP

Visit site
I went to Horizon in South Africa over new year, fun riding, lovely horses (even if mine and my partners horses both fell with us for no apparent reason and I had concussion for 4 weeks afterwards!) but not much in the way of game, some zebra, eland, a few giraffe but I wouldn’t go there as a game viewing trip more a relaxing holiday with nice riding. But we paired it with a few days on self drive safari around Pilanesberg game reserve a couple of hours away which had the big 5 and amazing game viewing and that made it the perfect trip (5 nights at pilanesberg and 3 at horizon).

Also went to Okapuka in Namibia, they don’t have the big 5 but have excellent numbers of other game, giraffe, kudu, sable, all kinds of antelope really, plus rhino and a couple of crocs! not suitable for beginners as riding is long, fast and on spirited endurance trained Arabs. Fabulous horses and canters for miles. Plus a fast sprint up a mountain!

Both were brilliant and different and were perhaps a bit safer if you have someone with you who maybe would struggle with their horse in the event something unexpected happened.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I went to Horizon and was really impressed with the horse side and the quality of the accomodation and food. You could ride out or have a go at Polocross or other activities.

I saw a bit more than BBP (Kudu and lots of antelopy type things), sometimes at speed as the guide shouted Blessbok and pointed as we sped past at a gallop. Couple of the younger guides didn't need much encouragement for a fast ride; another focused on the nature side giving history and properties of plants and how to spot tracks and droppings, one on the horse and training side. Hippos visited the ranch while we were there - footprints outside and we went to look at them in the lake from a safe distance.

Did a afternoon/evening excursion to a nearby reserve to see more game

I was doing some work in SA and had a few days between the two sites I was visiting so I needed somewhere flexible about when I arrived and left which they are. However most of the other guests combined it with a safari option of a few days run by the same organisation and if I went back I would do that.

SEL

Visit site
It was a while back now but I've done

Wait a Little - agree with bja-belle that it isn't for novices or nervous riders as Philip likes to ride at speed, but the horses are incredibly well trained and for European riders rather than more of a western style that you get at a lot of places. We had some great elephant viewings, lions (plus went back out in the 4wd to get a closer view), cheetahs and hippos.

Okavango Delta Botswana (Kujwana) - really expensive these days but an incredible experience. Also not for novice riders (I think they used to have a tag line that you needed to be able to gallop out of trouble). Probably my favourite. Lots of great elephant and antelope viewings from both horseback and the camps. Some rather-too-close-for-comfort hippo viewings and lions from the 4WD. Found myself galloping with giraffe and zebra at one point when they thought they'd join in with us. Lots of TBs and Arabs, but they all know their jobs.

Botswana - Tuli block. This was proper camping so a bit tough when you're aching after riding. More incredible elephant sightings, came across lions on horse back - and left quickly. Cheetahs and a lot of other random animals. Run by different people now, but I still hear good reports.

Namibia - less animal viewing. You tend to go more for the ride, which is spectacular.

Never did Horizon but I've never met anyone with a bad word to say about it. Most places will take you out in a 4WD to see the kind of animals that you might not want to get too close to on a horse, which means better opportunity for photos too.

If you're not sure where to go or whether your riding is up to scratch then I can recommend 'In the saddle' for a chat about the different places. We had a lady from the US on one of my Botswana trips who really struggled with the pace of the riding. It was a combination of both fitness and experience I think - you don't have to be a technically good rider (I'm not!) but you do have to be confident to ride a forward going horse at speed across terrain that you don't normally gallop over in the UK.

Plus it is compulsory to post photos when you get back....

w1bbler

Visit site
Another vote for wait a little, it was an amazing experience.
I'm no brilliant rider, but do a lot of galloping on Dartmoor - there were people who looked prettier on a horse than me, but looked terrified the first time we galloped down a hill, the riding is fast & fun & the horses well trained.
Saw lions elephants hippos zebra giraffe etc -racing giraffe was amazing.
Food was great & drink plentiful - starting with sundowners towards the end of each ride.
I could go on for hours, but just book it & see for yourself 😆

Velcrobum

Visit site
We went on safari at Kujwana there were some great bits and not so great bits. There for 10 days and ended up on foot for 2 days the excuse used was the water was too high. Also the promised evening safaris in a jeep did not happen. Yes you do need to be able to "gallop" out of danger if necessary. It also did not help that an Australian couple thought they were much better riders than they were which limited the group. The aussie male complained non-stop which also put a bit of a downer on things. I think if we went back we would go to Macatoo as we have had better feedback about them.

Have also been to Argentina Estancia Huechahue some years ago but what they do now has changed so could not comment on what they do now. Was very comfortable and we were well looked after. Also been to Estancia Los Potreros which I would go back to in a flash. They have some pure bred Paso horses as well as Crillos. If you are deemed a good enough rider you can do all sorts. I was able to ride a Paso in a traditional saddle which is much like riding bareback (no tree) effectively a leather pad on the horses back. You need to be balanced!!! Had a go at polo and calf roping which was terrific fun. Can also work ride- moving mare and foal herd back to estancia compound every night.

Like wise I can highly recommend In-the-saddle for advice.

SEL

Visit site
^^^ shame about your Kujwana experience. I know one of our days slowed down when we had 2 riders join who had rather over-estimated their ability, but they gave them quieter horses the next day and they just bobbed along behind. Water must have been very high not to ride through it. I got very wet most days when I was there.

I did a ride in Jordan where one of the riders had massively over-stated their ability. To hear him on the mini bus out to the horses you assumed he was out eventing every weekend. Then he got on the horse.....It wouldn't have mattered so much if every time the horse had p'd off with him if he'd pointed it at a sand dune, but instead he kept trying to crash into the other riders. We barely got out of a walk all week.:mad:

Velcrobum

Visit site
^^^ shame about your Kujwana experience. I know one of our days slowed down when we had 2 riders join who had rather over-estimated their ability, but they gave them quieter horses the next day and they just bobbed along behind. Water must have been very high not to ride through it. I got very wet most days when I was there.

I did a ride in Jordan where one of the riders had massively over-stated their ability. To hear him on the mini bus out to the horses you assumed he was out eventing every weekend. Then he got on the horse.....It wouldn't have mattered so much if every time the horse had p'd off with him if he'd pointed it at a sand dune, but instead he kept trying to crash into the other riders. We barely got out of a walk all week.:mad:

Yes the Kujwana trip was not as promised but I got the distinct impression that there was some sort of friction between the white members of staff and certainly two of them left a couple of months later. There were definite undercurrents. It was PJ who wanted to go walkabout despite the guests pointing out we had come to ride not walk..........

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When I was at Horizon there was an American couple who had overestimated their ability, the husband in particular was very up for going fast while looking like he was about to come off at any moment. However after my first day the group was split (a couple of other people had arrived overnight) and they were moved to a separate ride leaving the more competent riders. They joined us again for Polocross where they put everyone together and he bumbled around unable to get the horse to go in the direction he wanted but keeping out of our way - horse's decision not his - so didn't spoil what we were doing.