Horsebox build.....our story!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
We have a collapsible wheelbarrow:
http://www.greenfingers.com/product.asp?dept_id=500583&pf_id=LS6255D
We also have a solar panel on the roof to avoid too much drain on the batteries when we are at an event (mind you we do endurance and a lot of stupid stuff happens in the dark, so the lights get used a lot).
The other really handy thing we have is a small gas fired hot water system for the horses (and, er, people since we are not as smart as you and do not have a human shower built in!).
We carry 240 litres (about 63 gallons) of water and that is JUST enough for drinking water for 4 people and 2 horses plus strapping water for the horses (generally washed/cooled twice each at an 80km ride) from Friday evening through to Saturday afternoon, if that's any help. We wash with a small spray unit powered by an electric pump as that reduces the volume of water required to cool and clean a horse compared to doing it with a bucket and sponge.
If you are carrying water make sure you have enough taps! It's not hard (dear OH has done all ours himself) to chase piping through the body. Our water tanks on the gooseneck are at the front (weight distribution) but we have taps at the back for horse water and washing as well as one on the other side for people.

Excellent ideas! Hadn't seen the collapsible wheelbarrows before! Thanks for the clues re water volume...I have no idea how much we'd consume during a weekend so this gives me a ball park figure to work with! Great idea re the additional taps as well!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
I thought that an awning would be nice but it never fails to amaze me how close other lorries park. I always try to leave a reasonable distance between us and the lorry to the left but at the GYS this year the people next to us may have well been hooked on!. They could hardly open their tack lockers so we had no chance of using the right hand side tie ups.

I agree good lighting always helps in dark lanes. I am about to try some Osram Truckstar bulbs in the headlights.

Mark

So so true! I've experienced that so many times where someone decides to squeeze in and park or alternatively drive through the space that you've purposely left.....

Must find a space for all the no parking cones as well then!! Lol!

9tails

Visit site
The overall idea is that the horses will be tied up on the right side of the lorry and everything related to the horse will be done on that side..so the rear underbody locker will contain the horse wash and grooming tools and the saddle lockers will also be easily accessible from that side as well... A full length awning will run along the right side of the truck to allow shade from either the sun or rain!
Hence we should be able to do everything undercover!

Apologies, I was sure I'd read that the horses would be tied on the right but didn't make the connection that you were talking about tieing up outside!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Certainly no need to apologise..it was probably down to my poor grammar after a couple of glasses of red!

No great news with the build this week...seam sealing all of the outer panels and joints...
At the back the tow bar has been welded integral to the chassis...( helpful for pulling us backwards out of the mud! Lol!)

image_zps2mx9x7jt.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then finishing off the rear tail light surrounds....

image_zpsdkysn8fl.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Which is starting to make the Horsebox look a little more complete....
Rear ramp now made and should be on before the end of the week!

image_zps0mlgqxmd.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spoken with them regarding the latest needs.... 250 litre water tank, lockable internal door handles without sticky out bits...etc etc...

Many thanks to all of those who have given your input....all very helpful! Can't wait to get it back so I can play with bits myself!

Annagain

Visit site
No great news with the build this week...seam sealing all of the outer panels and joints...
At the back the tow bar has been welded integral to the chassis...( helpful for pulling us backwards out of the mud! Lol!)

I wondered why you were fitting one, couldn't work out what you would need a trailer for, given the space you'll have in the lorry!

Just a quick question - as this is 12T, will you need an Operators Licence too or does that not apply to "hobby" drivers?

9tails

Visit site
Hooks and carabiners, great for hanging up things quickly. You need to make sure your stuff doesn't rattle around when you're on the move.

I think this is going to be a great box!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Sssshhhhhhhh! Don't tell the girls but our secret...... I've got a race car and this would make a great towing vehicle....well you lot can have your horses! A man can have his toys!

In answer to your serious question... No as its not operating as a commercial business you don't need an operators licence... If I started to use the vehicle to transport other people's horses around for hire and reward then I would require one!

Dubsie

Visit site
Lights: external for doing the horse boots and rugs when your show finishes late, and internal to the horse area when you drop something. Have lost count of the times I've fished out our re-chargable light to help horsebox owners finish off when a show over-runs.

iphone/phone recharging points, so you can just plug them in & saves having to turn the ignition on and use the cigarette lighter (will these be obsolete now you're not allowed to smoke in company vehicles?

EventingMum

Visit site
Out of interest what size water tank do you have? I was looking at this specifically and trying to understand how big it actually needs to be? Got to design a tank or two to fit around the rear end and was was trying to do the maths...(without success!)

Has anyone any solutions for wheelbarrows?? Can't believe the sh:te my two take away with them and we always seem to end up tying the kitchen sink to the back of our trailer....

TBH I don't know what size our water tank is, we have a 7.5 t so weight is always a consideration and water weighs a lot! I'd have a bigger tank if I could. It just lasts 3 adults for 5 days at a 3 day event for cooking, washing and tack cleaning etc but we shower at the onsite showers and horse's water comes from stables.

Re the barrow, we found lightweight and collapsable ones weren't strong enough or stable enough on event sites so we bungy strap one on the bulkhead between the horse area and the living in front of the mucking out tools!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Lights: external for doing the horse boots and rugs when your show finishes late, and internal to the horse area when you drop something. Have lost count of the times I've fished out our re-chargable light to help horsebox owners finish off when a show over-runs.

iphone/phone recharging points, so you can just plug them in & saves having to turn the ignition on and use the cigarette lighter (will these be obsolete now you're not allowed to smoke in company vehicles?

Blimey....great thought..... The lights one down the side of the truck....anyone use anything specific?

Got me thinking again now! Google here we come! Cheers!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Re the barrow, we found lightweight and collapsable ones weren't strong enough or stable enough on event sites so we bungy strap one on the bulkhead between the horse area and the living in front of the mucking out tools!

I was thinking the same thing.... At present we strap it to the back door of the trailer but was looking for a better solution this time! It one of the most tedious things to have to pack!

:mad::mad:

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Maybe look at the garden carts with four wheels? They are lower and much less awkward than a wheelbarrow and could possibly go in an under floor area (secured obviously) we have a little one that tips up and it's perfectly fine for mucking out and hauling stuff around

Mine is like this: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/190772288648?_mwBanner=1

Keep an eye out in Lidl and Aldi as they sometimes have them in for £40 :)

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
Blimey....great thought..... The lights one down the side of the truck....anyone use anything specific?

Got me thinking again now! Google here we come! Cheers!
We have LED lights on a strip... Came extremely cheaply through E bay from China and work remarkably well. You literally stiick them up and cut them to length, then wire in the power at the cut end. Our float is lit up like an Xmas tree...

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Maybe look at the garden carts with four wheels? They are lower and much less awkward than a wheelbarrow and could possibly go in an under floor area (secured obviously) we have a little one that tips up and it's perfectly fine for mucking out and hauling stuff around

Mine is like this: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/190772288648?_mwBanner=1

Great idea...we actually own one of those already as we use it for carting and soaking the wood pellets we use as bedding....will need to measure it up but it's far easier to use than the barrow especially in muddy conditions....

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Hello everyone and thank you all for your contributions. It's excellent using you all as sounding boards for ideas....
Sorry there hasn't been too much of an update over the last week but this has been due to me taken away on work business...unfortunately I have to do my day job to help pay for this blinkin thing!

Anyway slight update...thanks to ideas on this forum I've gone back to the boys and we've reviewed the build constantly...re the water tank mounted around the rear axle / tail lift assembly we've looked and increased the tank size...I think the max we'll now be able is 236 litres...not quite the wanted 250 from the advice but probably the best compromise we can fit.... We've looked at other locations to sit the tank including under the front passenger compartment but decided the rear mount was best...so thanks to everyone for those ideas...

The rear ramp is now on and looking really smart. As this is going to be hydraulic we are just wanting for a couple of longer hoses to run to the outrigger rams... Again most of the pumps are in place ready for final fitting.

We've had a slight delay as we have been waiting for the generator and the airconditioning unit to arrive from Dometic...I'm planning to get down today to grab some photos so everyone can see the unit prior to install for relative size etc for those considering retrofitting to their horseboxes...

We've also decided to bite the bullet with the build...our original idea was to finish the lorry in stages as and when finances allowed...this poses a few problems as the final fit can't take place in the horse area because the rear wall separating the horse from the living is effectively a false wall which behind hides all the plumbing and electric runs...so it would all have to be ripped out again to install the living thus we have looked to finance the remaining build....

The good news for you is that means you'll see it finished off quicker...the bad news for me is I've got to work harder...:(:(

Thanks again for all of your comments and thoughts...I can honestly say each is taken on board, carefully considered, and if we can get away with it put on the truck.....

A final note to the guys at Courcheval who have been absolutely excellent...tolerating the annoying customer who keeps turning up and changing the spec and layout of everything every five minutes...I feel so bad some days that I've now started taking packets of chocolate biscuits and mince pies to ease their pain...they've now become fully used to this and they can sense my arrival ....if I'm carrying loads of packets of especially extra chocolate M&S ones they know there's a big change coming again!

No all seriousness they have been outstanding and the quality of their build has been stunning!
Back with photos soon! Now to plan the interior! Need help!! :):)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Re the hydraulic ramp. Make sure that it is engineered so that it 'fails to safe' rather than 'fails to danger'. There have been some very unpleasant accidents caused by well meaning people manually lifting a hydraulic ramp, which then crashes back down to the ground.

I think that it's Mike007 on HHO who had an idea as to how to make a fairly simple modification to prevent that happening.

9tails

Visit site
How about storage on top? I've seen haylage bales strapped to the roofs of lorries for longer stays but suspect you would need rails fitted and a side ladder to get up there.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Re the hydraulic ramp. Make sure that it is engineered so that it 'fails to safe' rather than 'fails to danger'. There have been some very unpleasant accidents caused by well meaning people manually lifting a hydraulic ramp, which then crashes back down to the ground.

I think that it's Mike007 on HHO who had an idea as to how to make a fairly simple modification to prevent that happening.

Thanks...will definately take it up with the boys...I had also read of a number of danger issues with these...they have reliably informed me that this is the safe version but I will definately seek reassurances...

Here is a very short update as of tonight....
image_zpscpdourr0.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see the tailgate is now on but still awaits the hydraulics to be fully set up and the rear closing panel to be affixed.

The next photo shows the hydraulic pump yet to be mounted in the rear near side locker...

[URL=http://s651.photobucket.com/user/ianacelliott/media/image_zps0iqh2ma9.jpeg.html]

[IMG]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu238/ianacelliott/image_zps0iqh2ma9.jpeg[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsyyopiuf8.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

The photo above shows the strengthening bracketry needed for the rear tail lift to stop the cross member from rotating or cracking under the forces needed to close the rear tailgate.

image_zpsgmrvja2l.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

The photo above shows the side door now fitted...

So over the next few days we are looking to fit the aircon unit and the power generator.....will update as they go in!

MuddyGeorge

Visit site
This thread is enthralling! I'm finding it so interesting watching everything come together (also with twinges of the green eyed monster!) Thanks for the update FarmerChalk. 😄

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
It's like Xmas here with the postie delivering lots of goodies....I think I must be going manopausal as I'm strangely excited by each delivery....
What is happening to me?? It's not normal to be excited by things like this.... Note to self... Get to the Doctors pdq...

This arrived this morning...

image_zps5tl28rav.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's a kitchen sink....wtf.....

image_zps7qesdfni.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Been looking on the net for sinks for campers (is this the meaning of life??) and unfortunately they all looked pretty rubbish and flimsy...so had a look at some discount sites and found this...a perfectly sized under counter stainless Smeg sink for the same price as a camping one...perfect dimensions and just what we need.......

image_zpspo4dcnc4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

So that set me on taps..... ( told you I was ill.....) and was also pretty saddened at the quality of camper taps which in the main are wibbly wobbly....

So had a look at the Bathstore internet site with their sale items....have always been impressed with their quality so bought this....

image_zpskarkozsn.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Again for less price than the equivalent camper/motorhome one...

Then because of you lot, you forced me to buy this......as you told me I needed lots of plugs and chargers.... I hate charging leads all over the place and thought this was a neat idea...

image_zpsn98a7axf.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's a pop up plug unit which fits flush to the work surface and when you want to use a plug or charger it pops up....neat....

Nurse...... My medication..... Nurse.... Nurse!

WelshD

Visit site
I glanced quickly at the picture of the side door an an optical illusion made me think it was a pop out side. For a second I was very very very jealous but upon seeing it was a trick of the light I am back to just being very very jealous.

Great pics and update. I can see us trying to spot this at shows next year!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Yes it does... Trick of the light....thankfully!
Unfortunately there have to be some compromises... The trouble is where do you stop... Suddenly it becomes a 40ft artic unit...which at least I could have got my car in! :(:(