Horsebox builder

Back with a bang

Visit site
I’m looking at getting a 7.5t built and have come across a builder in York. I have searched the forums and found some negative views but they were a long time ago and wondered if there were any recent reviews of boxes built by Jim Avann/jimmy avann?

He’s a long way away so I don’t want to be wasting my time if he’s not great. Anyone got any experience of him? His email name is Jim Bob.

Thanks

Lady Jane

Visit site
If he is miles from you, why have you picked him? If you tell us what area you are I'm sure someone can recommend a builder

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I managed to buy my ideal horsebox so didn't need to get it built. It was a Tristar, built on a MAN chassis with a 180hp engine. The body was all aluminium, had 4 stalls & a small living but had a weight of 5.3 tons. I had 2.2 tons of payload so could actually carry 3 horses and still be within weight. It had air suspension so I could lower the back to give to horses a shallower ramp to load up. It had cruise control & was very useful on motorways. It was a manual gearbox of 6 forward gears. I really loved the box & I sold it earlier this year and actually after using it for 6 years I sold it for £1000 more than I bought it for. Take a look at Tristar, they are in south wales and well worth a look at.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Also second Tristar - had a box built by them to my spec and it's great, full living, big spacious horse area and cost many thousands less than other builders.

terrierliz

Visit site
I’m looking at getting a 7.5t built and have come across a builder in York. I have searched the forums and found some negative views but they were a long time ago and wondered if there were any recent reviews of boxes built by Jim Avann/jimmy avann?

He’s a long way away so I don’t want to be wasting my time if he’s not great. Anyone got any experience of him? His email name is Jim Bob.

Thanks
I suggest you run in the other direction, not just walk away….

onemoretime

Visit site
Im sure Bloomfields build 7.5 ton's. Might be worth contacting them. They are very good to deal with, we had one built in 2021 and are very pleased with it.

terrierliz

Visit site
Oh really? What’s your experience? You can PM me if you’d rather not say on here.
is known for not delivering, poor build quality and companies being made insolvent then starting up again, goes by several different names. Friend purchased a new build from him, kept being promised it would be ready always another problem, she’d paid upfront, should have collected in May 22 eventually picked up in April 23, numerous ongoing problems to which his reply is along the lines of he no longer does horseboxes and will go bust if pushed. This isn’t the first person I know of that has had problems.

Back with a bang

Visit site
is known for not delivering, poor build quality and companies being made insolvent then starting up again, goes by several different names. Friend purchased a new build from him, kept being promised it would be ready always another problem, she’d paid upfront, should have collected in May 22 eventually picked up in April 23, numerous ongoing problems to which his reply is along the lines of he no longer does horseboxes and will go bust if pushed. This isn’t the first person I know of that has had problems.
I’m so glad you’ve warned me! I will not be going up on Saturday now, the search continues ….

Aprilshowers

New User
Visit site
can I ask were you going to see a completed horsebox?

can I ask were you going to see a completed horsebox?
Hi,
You have been in contact with a friend of ours regarding your horsebox that you were buying from Agri Carry Ltd of Pocklington. Please can you message me as the email address you sent her for the Trading Standards does not seem to exist and also the telephone number is for Citizens Advise and not direct to Trading Standards.