Horsebox cab advice please

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I’m looking for a 7.5 tonne lorry with a decent payload and is comfy enough to stay away in for a couple of days. Everyone’s told me only to go for a tilt cab, however the only one I’ve found with the right payload etc and a tilt cab is miles and miles away. I’m also looking at a slightly newer Solitaire that’s a lot closer but doesn’t have a tilt cab - the dealer says it’s the new shape chassis with accessible side skirts for easy access - any experience of these and does it genuinely make the engine easy to access?

millitiger

Visit site
I don't have experience of the Solitaire, however I would always go tilt cab, sorry!
I had a few bits and bobs done on my last lorry like starter motor, fuel line change, exhaust change etc and all were very straightforward as can was dropped.

Can you get the one miles away inspected by someone local and if all ok, drive up and see it and collect it so only 1 visit for you?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Speak to a mechanic or the garage you intend to use and see what they say re the newer chassis. On older trucks a tilt cab certain makes access easier and less costly for some repairs as the engine doesn't have to be dropped.
I was going to say the same. Ask a friendly mechanic who would be doing any work for you. If they're comfortable with the design then it's worth a look.

Don't forget to get it vetted before buying (a pre purchase inspection)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't own a horsebox any more, I was approaching 70yrs and my horses are semi retired so they don't compete at all now. The horse box I had was really great in my eyes. It was a 7.5 ton Tristar & built on a MAN 180 horse power. It had the power to climb hills well. It was actually stalled for 4 horses/pony but I only ever carried 3 as I had a stainless steel set of shelves |& hooks to carry coats, boots, saddles etc in the end stall.. I know you'll be thinking that carrying 3 horses will have been taking me over weight but no I was always in weight. My lorry was built by 'Tristar' & my pay load was 2.3 tons. I managed that because my lorry was built in aluminium, walls/roof/frame work/ partitions/shelving/ramp. It was what I would call a traditional horse box. It didn't have a custom paint job on it. The cab was dark grey, it had a pale grey horses logo on the front & a similar sing on the rear. The body was aluminium sheets & an aluminium frame. Any repairs I needed to have done mechanics always commented that with a tilt cab which made the work cost less because they could get to every thing in the engine & save time. It had a small living area, bed in the luton, double seat under a window & a gas 2 burner hob & a gas grille. & cupboards under the hob & over the window. I had the lorry for 5/6 years & it never let me down. When I sold it around 6 months ago I sold it on Facebook Market place. A guy came to view it when it had only been on the site for a couple of hours. He bought it & he paid £1000 more than I had purchased it for in 2018.

You will only get a 7.5 lorry that has 2.3 ton payload & can legally carry 3 horses with Tristar. The chassis it was built on had a great 180hp which really took you along smoothly & with cruise control really helped.