Horsebox Costs?

WhizzyKizzy

Visit site
Hello everyone,
Probably a vary varied answer question but how much does a 3.5 and a 7.5 ton horsebox cost to insure, tax, maintain, plate etc. annually in this part of the country?

I'm leaning towards getting a 3.5 as they're more expensive to buy (we're getting a second hand one) but cheaper to maintain as I've read elsewhere.

Thank you

Lady Jane

Visit site
My 7.5t: Ins £350 (includes roadside rescue), tax £165, plate varies depends what needs doing but usually circa £600. Its fairly old (2001) so low value and have been lucky with servicing costs. You don't say where you live - I'm Beds/Herts border. I'm lucky that I bought the lorry with a friend in 2012 and we share the costs.

WhizzyKizzy

Visit site
My 7.5t: Ins £350 (includes roadside rescue), tax £165, plate varies depends what needs doing but usually circa £600. Its fairly old (2001) so low value and have been lucky with servicing costs. You don't say where you live - I'm Beds/Herts border. I'm lucky that I bought the lorry with a friend in 2012 and we share the costs.
Thank you, I'm Central Bedfordshire

Squeak

Visit site

I'm fairly similar to this for my 3.5t but the tax is 290. I always thought that the tax for a 7.5t would be higher than the 3.5t, how odd.

I usually allow about 600 for servicing and MOT as well.

Hackback

Visit site
Someone told me that people are getting rid of their 7.5 ton boxes because a tax was coming in so you have to pay each time you take them on the road. I had a Google and I think it may be the congestion tax which only applies to certain areas at the moment. However if you do have to drive through one of those areas the charge is very high for a 7.5t, the places I looked at varied from £60 to £100 per day. I didn't look at costs for a 3.5t but it might be worth researching.

Of course it might be a different tax altogether so I stand to be corrected if anyone know more.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I'm fairly similar to this for my 3.5t but the tax is 290. I always thought that the tax for a 7.5t would be higher than the 3.5t, how odd.

I usually allow about 600 for servicing and MOT as well.
Re tax, that does seem strange. Its taxed as a 'Private HGV' which is what is stated on the log book

Lady Jane

Visit site
@Squeak The vehicle tax rates:
Light goods vehicles (TC39)
Registered on or after 1 March 2001 and not over 3,500kg revenue weight (also known as maximum or gross vehicle weight).

Single 12 month payment Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit Total of 12 monthly instalments by Direct Debit Single 6 month payment 6 months by Direct Debit £290£290£304.50£159.50£152.25

Schollym

Visit site
How often do you go out? I have a 7.5 ton although tax isn’t too bad ( cheaper than my car) and insurance through the NHS is about £ 45 a month, it has been expensive this time round on its MOT around £2500 and then needed more work afterwards ( before we start on advisories)
Renting a 3.5 ton for a day is around £100 which sounds expensive but we could have gone out every other weekend and still have spent less!