Horsebox disaster - any advice?

pennyturner

Visit site
I recently bought an old Mercedes 813 (1982) box in lovely condition. On our way back from the beach last week, though, the wheel bearing went, and I didn't notice and stop, resulting in the whole back axle heating up and welding itself together.
Since it nearly caught fire, with my 4 ponies on board (plus kids), it could have been worse.
It needs a whole new axle, which seems impossible to find. The alternative seems to be fitting a different, newer chassis and cab to the existing box, which seems a waste when the cab, engine etc is good.
Has anyone been through similar? What did you do?

Equibeau

Visit site
I think that is what happened to L154x, not sure what she has done, think she's had it fixed. Thankfully, you and the kids got home safely. I'm sure Lisa will be able to fill you in. PS love the name!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think I would contact your nearest box manufacturer, and ask if they have any ideas. They may be prepared to sort of mix and match to a new chassis that has a duff engine.. We use Trucksmart of Ivybridge, nice chap and worth phoning just for ideas..

allijudd

Visit site
If you are sure it is the back axle, have u looked on ebay. If i ever need anything for a horsebox/lorry an I cant build it from scratch i look on ebay. There is almost everything there and cheaper than scrapyards and dealers.

Good luck

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Rush green Motors in Langley Hertfordshire are one of the largest breakers of commercial vehicles in the country. I bet that they can help you out. There contact details are Rush Green Motors (Breakers) Old London Road Langley Hitchin Hertfordshire Tel: 01438 354174/5 Fax 01438 353560. Ask to speak to Bruv!

lisan

pets.webshots.com
OMG, EXACTLY the same thing happened to mine coming back from Horsecamp at the end of May. Lots of ringing round the breakers yards, finally found one for £200, but this was for an old cargo. Was a big job, and thanks to a very good friend did'nt cost any more to fix it!

Get ringing round any lorry breakers, and ask anyone with an old merc where they got their bits from! Good luck x