Horsebox mileage?

Ali2

Visit site
Hi all. We're looking to move from a 4x4 and trailer to a box. We've just been to see a box which would suit our needs and appears to be well maintained. It's an 02 plate with 400 k km on the clock. Is this mileage normal or high? Could I expect it to carry on for several years yet?

sychnant

Visit site
That sounds high to me. What was it before it was converted and does it have service history from the beginning? If it was a fleet van it should have been well maintained before conversion - but at that many miles I would be wary - unless it is cheap enough that you will have enough left to pay for any problems that might arise.

I have recently bought an 03 plate which has done just under 60,000 miles. It's been a horsebox for most of it's life!

gunnergundog

Visit site
In my opinion, it is high.....or higher than I would buy at, but depends obviously on your budget and your anticipated annual mileage.

I assume it is diesel, or...? What make is it? What weight? When was it converted to a horsebox?

If the chassis was owned by a reputable commercial firm (and has the documentation to support) it is likely to have been regularly maintained, so if you are looking for something for local runs with a low load, then you should be okay for a FEW years (with the above caveats) and assuming you get it checked over by a half competent mechanic prior to purchase! ;D

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Hi all. We're looking to move from a 4x4 and trailer to a box. We've just been to see a box which would suit our needs and appears to be well maintained. It's an 02 plate with 400 k km on the clock. Is this mileage normal or high? Could I expect it to carry on for several years yet?

The only way you will get a low mileage horsebox is if you buy one which has always been a horsebox & there are not that many of them about. Diesel lorry engines are designed to do high miles & when you actually work out the mileage on the box you are considering the mileage isn't that high. The mileage is in kilometres so 400,000 km is actually 250,000 miles. The vehicle is 14 years old so 250,000 divided by 14 = 17857 miles per year which isn't that much is it. If it has been regularly serviced it will do many more miles yet. Don't let the mileage put you off if the box is in good condition, regularly serviced & is what you want. :)

Makemineacob

Visit site
The only way you will get a low mileage horsebox is if you buy one which has always been a horsebox & there are not that many of them about. Diesel lorry engines are designed to do high miles & when you actually work out the mileage on the box you are considering the mileage isn't that high. The mileage is in kilometres so 400,000 km is actually 250,000 miles. The vehicle is 14 years old so 250,000 divided by 14 = 17857 miles per year which isn't that much is it. If it has been regularly serviced it will do many more miles yet. Don't let the mileage put you off if the box is in good condition, regularly serviced & is what you want. :)

^^ This. take someone knowledgable with you but it wouldn't put me off if it had regular services (backed up with paperwork/service book etc) and was in good condition.

turnbuckle

Visit site
3.5T or 7.5T? What make?

Do you know who ran it in it's previous life?

Has it got FSH?

My lorry came with 330k (km) and I didn't even give the mileage a second thought, although of course the odd thing will need doing. But you really only avoid that if you buy a nearly new vehicle in warranty....

Remember that lorries happily do 500k to 750k MILES!

Last edited:

DJ

Visit site
As others have said you need to check it`s previous life if it`s a recent conversion. We run a fleet of lorries and one of ours has done 1,100,000 kms, yes, you read that right, over a million clicks on a 54 reg :D and it`s still going strong as it`s been regularly serviced.

330,000 kms is nothing for a diesel engine that has been well maintained.

case895

Visit site
Mileage is not a good indicator of condition. High mileage on motorways with appropriate servicing is much better than short stop/start journeys and poor servicing.

mutley75

Visit site
Mine has done 1,357,000. And is still going strong. Is it a van or an hgv. As said above, Diesel engines with regular servicing are designed to do high miles.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I personally don't think the miles are that high TBH. In October 2014 I picked up my 57 plate 7.5t newly coach built lorry which had been a fleet vehicle and had done approximately 150,000 miles. So far it's had a new steering box, new ball joint, part of the exhaust replaced and now needs a new fuel tank!!! It has cost up to now without the fuel tank over £3000 in repairs already and that was in the first 6 months! So the moral here is just because it's a relatively newish chassis with what I considered to be very low miles, it doesn't mean you're going to have no issues. Goodness knows how much a new fuel tank is going to cost me but it's going to have to be done. Take a knowledgable mechanic with you as it could be that at that sort of mileage it's already had a major overhaul. Mine was clearly sold from the fleet collection because it needed money spending in it. It's a lesson learned for me at least!

Last edited:

turnbuckle

Visit site
Chocolategirl, make sure you explore options for pattern or even good secondhand fuel tanks, might save a bundle! Which make of chassis is it?

EBHouse

Visit site
Ours has done 450,000+ kms and never misses a beat. Had it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic on purchase and is well looked after. Feels like it could just keep on going.. fingers crossed!!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The average commercial vehicle will do on average 100,000 miles per year. They are designed to last 1,000,000 miles and over.
So at 400,000 you will have at least 600,000 miles left.
The biggest problem with horsebox's is that they are not used enough and the parts such as brakes seize up.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Chocolategirl, make sure you explore options for pattern or even good secondhand fuel tanks, might save a bundle! Which make of chassis is it?

It's a DAF with the added complication of adblue! The mechanic who usually does all my repairs is trying to source a plastic Iveco one which he says will fit? Hope he's right lol!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
It's a DAF with the added complication of adblue! The mechanic who usually does all my repairs is trying to source a plastic Iveco one which he says will fit? Hope he's right lol!

I have a DAF and was advised NOT to have the plastic Iveco tank, they don't fit properly & the fuel sender is not compatible so no fuel gauge, mine had a new pattern part metal one from Midland Breakers :) and was MOT'd last week, the tester mentioned the new metal tank & said he was glad not to see another bodged plastic tank, he said they are prone to splitting /bursting ...

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site

I know more people with problems due to low mileage than high mileage, my DAF 45 V reg was stolen with 360km on the clock & it really did drive like new.It was an ex post office truck & i was told TNT trucks are good too. I did spend £1k in the first year refurbishing the brakes but then It romped through 5 MOTs with no advisories on an annual service of less than £500. The replacement DAF is a Y reg/2001 & i deliberately went for the last of the old shape as they are SO much cheaper to get parts for than the new shape LF. It is an ex Ryder truck with 175km & it was not in as good condition as the higher mileage one when i got it. All been sorted now :)

Annie B.

Visit site
Hi Ali, noticed were you are based so hoping this may help. I purchased an ex agency vehicle with under 90,000 on the clock last year with full service history. Vehicle is 7.5 tonne and was serviced every 6 weeks to comply with law, I have all the printouts and in depth history and both keys. I had my own mechanic check it over and pick it up to take to have coach built box put on chasis it was in mint condition and is now the most gorgeous horsebox. The company I purchased from had others around 120,000 and a good turn over will try and pm you company.x

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I would say it's high, but it depends how much they're asking for it.
My 07 3.5t box has just over 100k on the clock, as it was used for a conservatory and window company before conversion in 2015.