Horsebox parts - top tip, good old eBay!

kerilli

Visit site
So, my horsebox (7.5t Iveco Eurocargo) went in for annual M.O.T. etc. Although i don't have to use the tacho (private use only) it has to have a fully working tacho in case a commercial driver ever uses it, stupid law. it's just scraped through on tacho last 2 times, with a bit of ingenuity and sellotape kind of thing by the garage, as the tacho was going a big awry...
anyway, this time, it failed on it. :( :(
they gave me two quotes for a replacement - an Iveco one that should work fine, about £650... or a recon one from a different make, which would work but might not talk to the EMS properly so would possibly bring up false errors all the time. £400ish iirc.
hmmm.
after The Saga of the Mini Headlight Adjuster (main dealer quote, in writing: £1000+ for whole new Headlight, boyfriend rang Mini breaker and got requisite small plastic part for £24 and fitted it himself, sorted... might send that one to Top Gear actually!) I am a little smarter...
So, boyf looked on ebay, found Analogue Tacho for Iveco of requisite year - £85. HA.
It arrived, worked perfectly, fitted perfectly, lorry passed M.O.T.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
eBay is your friend...
(fwiw garage said they rang 2 separate breaker yards locally and got those 2 quotes, and only add 10%, which is fair enough i guess.) so, someone's making a killing...

flyingfeet

Visit site
Ebay is definitely your friend

I was looking for a new air filter housing and kept getting £300 + Vat

Went on eBay and bid and won a brand new one for £210 goes a little way toward paying my other stonking lorry bills!!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Full brake disc and pad sets for my car - Sandicliffe = Astronomical quote. Ebay = £65 for the lot.

Ebay is amazing! I've bought all sorts off there before including a drive shaft for an E300 Merc - quoted £800 by Merc, £110 later, including postage, it was sat on my kitchen table!!

Mike007

Visit site
You just have to hope that nobody notices that it no longer has a digital tacho,because you are not allowed to fit an analogue one ,

kerilli

Visit site
You just have to hope that nobody notices that it no longer has a digital tacho,because you are not allowed to fit an analogue one ,

Umm, it's an 04 box, and had an analogue tacho before, so, we replaced like with like... and i suspect that the inspector at the tacho place (where it was fitted and calibrated) is au fait with the law (hope so anyway...!)

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
Silly question but how can they tell at testing station if the tachometer is working. All they do when I take mine is open it, grunt, say "I suppose this is exempt is it", shut tacho and grunt again.

kerilli

Visit site
Silly question but how can they tell at testing station if the tachometer is working. All they do when I take mine is open it, grunt, say "I suppose this is exempt is it", shut tacho and grunt again.

I have no idea. it needs to click on and light up maybe?
what i don't get is that a friend has a humungous HGV that's over 25 yrs old that doesn't need a tacho at all... WTF? i mean, surely the law is there for safety etc, i can't work it out at all...

perfect11s

Visit site

They will or should !!! check the seals are intact and it was calibrated at some point in the past for that lorry!! also if your lorry is a 7.5 ton newer than 2001 or a HGV they will plug a little gismo into it that checks the speed limiter is working....

kerilli

Visit site
They will or should !!! check the seals are intact and it was calibrated at some point in the past for that lorry!! also if your lorry is a 7.5 ton newer than 2001 or a HGV they will plug a little gismo into it that checks the speed limiter is working....

Yes, they were going on about the seals last time... and this new one had to be recalibrated, which will stand for 6 years apparently.
perfect11s, please tell me, is Mike007 right, are analogue tachos no longer allowed?

Mike007

Visit site
Umm, it's an 04 box, and had an analogue tacho before, so, we replaced like with like... and i suspect that the inspector at the tacho place (where it was fitted and calibrated) is au fait with the law (hope so anyway...!)

Since 5th August 2004 not only is a digital tachograph required in any new vehicle,but also any analogue installation that breaks down irreparably in vehicles registered after 1.1.96 are to be replaced with a digital tachograph

kerilli

Visit site
Since 5th August 2004 not only is a digital tachograph required in any new vehicle,but also any analogue installation that breaks down irreparably in vehicles registered after 1.1.96 are to be replaced with a digital tachograph

Oh dear. The garage (registered Iveco garage) didn't know that, apparently... please can you point me in the direction of where that's written down (Law number or something?), so I can quote it to them if necessary?

Mike007

Visit site
Just keep your head down ,and take the pragmatic approach ,which I suspect the tacho centre did too:cool:. But technicaly its not legal. They are trying to get rid of analogue tachos . Too much burocracy for them to ever be certain you have changed the head so dont panic ,but if they question it, bluff like hell. :eek:Just keep saying,"they repaired the old one"

kerilli

Visit site
Oh fgs, not sure that'll work, the garage told me that the MOT centre are really tightening up on tachos, hence the usual tactics didn't work. but they passed this new one. And the bill for recalibrating will be a few hundred pounds... surely if the tacho was the wrong one they shouldn't have done that?! oh, now i'm really really confused!
thanks anyway, i'll check up with the garage. ta.

Mike007

Visit site
The first thing you have to realise is that VOSA are not exactly impressed with the latest round of EU additions to the test. Also ,just becuse the EU says that you cant replace an analogue tacho head with another one, doesnt mean they can prove you have done ,and frankly, VOSA arnt going to start looking.They have enough serious work to do.

popsdosh

Visit site
There are some bargains on ebay and some rubbish stuff so please be careful what you buy if you are unsure .Things like brake disc and pads do not assume they are OEM as failure of these items can have extreme consequences . Find your local commercial vehicle parts factors and they will supply you cost effective parts that will be as good as the originals.Ebay is a dumping ground for cheap imports where people are only buying on cost.Just be aware of what you are buying.

Sticker

Visit site
Deleted - realised your box is an 04 plate, not 94, so my comment made no sense at all. Doh! Sorry ;)

Last edited: