Horsebox Pre Purchase Inspection

atouchwild

Visit site
HI, I know this has been asked before but I cant find a recent thread on it so though I would try and get more up to date recommendations. I'm looking to buy a 7.5T Horsebox, it's bit of a distance but not too far for me to go and look but I have no idea what to look for. The lorry in question does not have an MOT, it is newly converted, all done inside but looks like crap on the outside...not a problem for me couldn't care less what it looks like!! The chap says he hasn't got time to finish it but says it will fly an MOT and gave me a long list of everything it's had done. Anyway, enough waffling, can anyone recommend somewhere to inspect it for me before I go and look as it seems perfect on paper and pictures. Lorry is in Lancashire, also wondering what I could expect to pay for this service?

On another note does anyone have any experience of making a cut through cab from one that doesn't have cut through? I've been told it would be easy and safe to do, and while it's not essential I would prefer a cut through if possible. I am willing to spend a little on the lorry in question as its cheap for what it seems but don't want to be buying a death trap. Anyway any experiences or recommendations very welcome.
Thanks in advance!

eggs

Visit site
I used a guy local to me (Oxon) who did a very thorough job but I don't think he would travel up to Lancashire. Brad from Bicester Horsebox Hire is well recommended.

I don't know if the AA could help.

Personally I would not touch a lorry that the owner cannot be bothered to get tested - especially if they reckon it would fly through.

frostyfingers

Visit site
Work out what it would cost to get through the MOT if it's as perfect as he says - then ask him to do it and offer to pay. It would need to have an MOT before you could move it anyway. Can't help on the inspection side I'm afraid.

be positive

Visit site
Work out what it would cost to get through the MOT if it's as perfect as he says - then ask him to do it and offer to pay. It would need to have an MOT before you could move it anyway. Can't help on the inspection side I'm afraid.

I would do this rather than an inspection, if it will fly through why has he not done it as it will add more than the cost to the value, make it easier to sell and enable whoever buys it to legally drive it home, I think you may find it is a heap of trouble whatever the sellers says.

atouchwild

Visit site
See alarm bells were ringing a bit with no MOT, I've already asked him if he would put it through and he said he didn't have the time and if it was MOTd it would be a grand more, which I suppose begs the question why not find the time!! I thought maybe I was just being a sceptic! Thing is, years ago my mum bought a horsebox with a full years MOT and the following year it transpired it should never had passed as the chassis was an absolute death trap, so a year's test means nothing to me anyway, I'd still want it checked! Thanks for the replies

frostyfingers

Visit site
Trust your instincts - as you say if he could get another grand for it with the MOT why not have the MOT?! I'd walk away, there will be other boxes out there, even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment.