Horsebox purchase

sanjo

Visit site
I would like to buy a 7.5T lorry with some living. A friend has one for sale for 15k Leyland Daf 122km miles. New MOT. What do I look for? Is it pretty basic but smart. I would like to find a pre-purchase lorry inspector if I like it, where would I find one? And this one has a wooden floor (2001) is that normal? Having always avoided wooden floors in trailers but thinking this maybe the norm for a lorry of this age? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I would like to buy a 7.5T lorry with some living. A friend has one for sale for 15k Leyland Daf 122km miles. New MOT. What do I look for? Is it pretty basic but smart. I would like to find a pre-purchase lorry inspector if I like it, where would I find one? And this one has a wooden floor (2001) is that normal? Having always avoided wooden floors in trailers but thinking this maybe the norm for a lorry of this age? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Whereabouts are you? I can suggest a pre purchase inspection chap based Oxfordshire but that night be too far?

Lady Jane

Visit site
I think your job is to decide if the lorry is right for you, and if you are comfortable driving it. I'm short so in some lorries I struggle to reach the gears while sitting comfortably - I did test drive a7.5t Daf, can't remember exact model, but it was really easy and light to drive. You need a pre-purchase inspector who can check it not only for lorry issues (engine, chassis etc) but can also check out horse safety - floor/ramp/partitions etc. I live in Bedfordshire and can recommend someone

Ossy2

Visit site
What age is the lorry is it 2001 or that’s the age of the floor? 15k sounds a lot of a 20yr old “basic” wagon.
By Daf is wooden floored but the horse area is double skinned with aluminium between ground and wood, are you sure it’s just wood all the way to outside?

sanjo

Visit site
What age is the lorry is it 2001 or that’s the age of the floor? 15k sounds a lot of a 20yr old “basic” wagon.
By Daf is wooden floored but the horse area is double skinned with aluminium between ground and wood, are you sure it’s just wood all the way to outside?
It’s registered as 2001 but perhaps that’s the chassis.
I am just starting to understand a little about lorries but it’s a minefield.
I will need to research.

EventingMum

Visit site
I think for a 7.5t conversion a wooden floor is pretty common. As long as you keep a check on it you should be ok, ideally, it should have drainage holes or a channel to allow urine to flow away out of the horse area. I had a Daf and after 12 years of use as a horsebox the wooden floor was still fine with no rot, we lifted mats and checked it regularly. One thing to definitely check is the payload when it has a tank of diesel and water on board, taking into account hay, tack and people etc as well as horses, most 7.5t with living will only take 2 horses especially if it is a conversion rather than coachbuilt.

D66

Visit site
Check underneath and the cab for rust.
Check the floor.
Check you can lift the ramp on your own. I once had to get my OH back from work at lunchtime to help put up ramp to go out for a lesson. It had been OK but something had changed.:(
Check that everything actually works.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Make sure that the cab of the lorry can be fully tilted so that it can be easily serviced and repaired. Do not buy one without a tilt cab - if something goes wrong it could cost you a fortune in time to take it apart!
Make sure that the tyres are well under 10 years old and in good condition because the tyres have now to be replaced after 10 years.
Get the container checked from underneath to ensure that the cross members and wooden floor are in good condition.
Again have the upper surface of the wooden floor checked.
If you are going in to or around any city's this vehicle will not comply with their emission zone regulations.
PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTIONS
Brian Burton Tel: 01206 385861
07725 273 553
www.essexvehicleinspections.co.uk

Best of luck!

onemoretime

Visit site
Try Wayne Henning of Henning Horseboxes he has a Facebook page. He travels the country checking horseboxes for people. It is well worth speaking to him.