Horsebox Question

Its_A_Rollover

Visit site
Anyone out there know anything about mechanics?

Horsebox wont start - when you turn ignition there is not a single noise.

But not battery as Lights, windscreen wipers and horn works.

Had new key barrell put in recently as was a bit loose. Started to start up like a dream. Then, Nothing.

Any ideas? Paid over £400 for stupid mechanic to sort out problems less than a month ago and now this!

Aaaargh!

Help please? :S

Its_A_Rollover

Visit site
whats a solanoid?
confused.gif

Its_A_Rollover

Visit site
Is the starter motor an easy thing for someone who doesnt know anything about mechanics to check - would I see a loose wire? or does it need to go back to the garage?
frown.gif
more money...

Thanks for all the input
laugh.gif

BigRed

Visit site
If it is the starter motor, it is likely that when you turn the key you will just hear a click rather than the lorry trying to start. They usually show some signs of failing, ie it starts poorly for a while before it packs up completely.

It doesn't really matter what it is, if you aren't mechanically minded you are going to have to call the garage again. Bad luck it's miserable when your vehicle lets you down.

Its_A_Rollover

Visit site
ahhh thats what it is then. it does just click. grrr silly garage they said they checked everything, thanks for clearing that one up for me
smile.gif
... *off to get quotes*
frown.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'm no mechanic but first thing to check is your batteries. Just because the lights & wipers work doesn't mean your batteries are ok. Have someone put a metre on them & check the reading, it should be a minimum of about 12.4 volts on each. When starting any vehicle the drain on the battery is considerable & you may find that your battery/s are not holding sufficient charge & need replacing. I had this happen to me & one of my batteries was shot, on replacing it all was well again....Good Luck

punk

Visit site
My lorry does the same sometimes!

If you have had a new key barrel put in, it may be the security type.

Make sure that, when you turn on the ignition, let most of the warning lights go OFF on the dashboard, before trying to start. (Usually about 3 - 4 seconds on mine). Should then start.

If you don't, and you get the 'click' and no start - turn off - then turn on with FOOT ON THE CLUTCH, let the lights on dash go off, and then try the starter.

If it still won't go, take key out of ignition, walk a distance away with it for a couple of minutes, and then come back and try - with foot on the clutch!!

Sounds ridiculous, but a very good mechanic told me all this when I had similar trouble, and it works every time!!
grin.gif

Have PM'd you with same in case you miss this! May not be the problem, but if it is would save you lots of money!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif