Horsebox - swapping a chassis

sam4321

Visit site
Hi does anyone know how much it costs to swap a box onto a new chassis?.

Its a 3.5t box on a bedford cf going onto a transit or similar chassis. about a 10-12 yr age gap in chassis

are all boxes failry interchangeable or could there be probs?

thanks very much for any help!
smile.gif

Carsmore

Visit site
yes it can be done but it isnt straight forward. Has it got a cut through into the cab? More difficult if it has. Where abouts are you? Measurements that you need to bear in mind are the distances between the top of the chassis to the top of the cab (if the box is a luton) and also from the back of the cab to the back of the chassis and the back of the cab to the centre of the rear axle. By the way this is advice from my OH who is a professional commercial vehicle body builder with 26 years experience! Hope this helps

Carsmore

Visit site
By the way, straight forwards would be approx £800 but obviously, if it wasnt so straight forwards it could be up to a maximum of approx £1600.

sam4321

Visit site
thanks very much!

its not cut through to cab. so its more of a case of the box has to be the right dimensions to physically fit?

i wasnt sure if there would be problems underneath on the chassis trying to join 2 differnt makes of vehicle and about 10 yrs age gap

im in suffolk, the box on the back looks good, but it is quite old with a petrol engine so im not keen on keeping the chassis.
thanks

Carsmore

Visit site
My OH strongly advises you to go to a commercial vehicle body builder to get it done and not just a garage. We are up in Yorkshire so cant physically help.
There is probably going to be a difference in the width of the chassis rails. bearing that in mind, get a body builders to look at it and not a garage. They deal with these problems day in day out and are better equipped and experienced.

Mike007

Visit site
Swapping a 7.5 tonne box onto another chassis, if it doesnt have a cut through should be about the same price.The main problems are the same,with the fact that the body is substantialy heavier.

smiggy

Visit site
reviving this to ask if the box has a cut through is it then more expensive?

have a great little box but no power steering, its fine in the summer but over winter it take me 30 mins to turn it round on our hardstanding!
have been quoted 2k plus to add power steering but its an M reg anyway.
Just thinking would be better to use that money to do chassis swop so that at least I would then have a newer lorry (obv would need to buy a chassis as well but might beat spending 2k of "dead money")

Was guestimating 3k for chassis swop and respray but didnt know about the cut through thing :confused: