Horsebox travelling positions?

skmoreland

New User
Visit site
Can anyone provide any links/references or advice on where my heaviest horse should travel in my horse box?
I've just bought a converted horsebox 7.5t with two stalls.
My wife and I currently own a 15hh highland x and she weighs approx 450kg.
We are looking to buy a 2nd horse shortly. Quite possibly a shire but certainly a good stocky weight carrying horse regardless of breed. The 2nd horse will without a doubt be the heaviest and from what i've read online the heaviest horse should travel closest to the living area in the middle of the truck. My wife is under the impression that the heaviest horse should travel near the ramp towards the back of the truck.
Can anyone clarify which is the correct/safest way to travel these two horses or any two horses which we may travel in the future?

mutley75

Visit site
In theory the weight should be between the axles. In practice the horses will get a far better ride between the axles. If you are talking about a herringbone lorry try to get heavier one over or just in front of the axle with lighter one over or just behind. You will find yourself very tail heavy with all the weight at the back.

Jillybobs

New User
Visit site
Heaviest towards the front or centre of the vehicle.

Not relevant here, but thought I'd add that when using a trailer with one horse loaded, the horse should be on the right hand side ;)