Horseboxes 3.5 / 3.9 tons

gallopingby

Visit site
Thinking of downsizing my lorry to a smaller one. What are peoples recent experiences of the smaller types - interested in safety/stability/build quality. Thanks

ROG

Visit site
one horse = ok for 3.5
more than one horse needs 4.5+

3.5s are more costly because they can be driven on a B licence

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There is a big range, because they are popular there are plenty of people doing conversions that shouldn't be so you definitely need to do your research on quality of build and materials used.
You need to consider the risk of going over the breastbar if rear facing (most are)
and headheight depending on the size of the horse.

I don't think you need a 4.5T for 2 horses some 3.9s can definitely do it relatively easily (compared to some 7.5T!)

OWLIE185

Visit site
There are a lot of chancers building 3.5 ton lorries so take care you get one built by a reputable builder such as Marlborough, Boss, Bloomfield or Oakley.

ROG

Visit site
I don't think you need a 4.5T for 2 horses some 3.9s can definitely do it relatively easily (compared to some 7.5T!)
3.9 for two = seems a bit tight but I suppose it depends on weight of them along with everything else especially if two people in cab

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well obviously if you want living it's not going to work but otherwise you can get about 1.6-1.7 (KP states 1.8) payload from a decent builder which would be plenty doable for a lot of two horse set ups. It would be more than enough for us anyway :)

Bernster

Visit site
I really like them for driving and handling. Plenty of space for horses generally, although actual payload is another matter of course! Easy for younger folks if it's 3.5. Nice bit of extra payload on a 3.9t which is what I have but limits your resale market to oldies. Cough cough. Like me.

Agree with ROG, certainly on older builds there isn't much payload ime on a 3.5t for 2 horses plus full kit etc. Even with my basic 3.9t with few additions so the payload is good, I get 1.4/1.5t payload. I used to take 2 but realised I'm probably pushing it payload wise and have a heavier horse now, so I only take him now.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Having witnessed a horse going over the breast bar at a venue a couple of weeks back, do think seriously about collapsible breast bars / solid bulkheads! The one I witnessed was very very lucky not to be seriously injured!! It was one of the van conversions rather than a coach built little box.

Edited to add:
I love my little lorry, it’s a coachbuilt one. Plenty of room for my boy and all my stuff. It drives like a car, very stable.
Do check payload - and only acccept a weight certificate not the sellers word!

amandaco2

Visit site
had 2.
love them.
my older one only has PL for 1 horse.
second one has been built to spec. no living. rear tack locker and no where for horses to jump to.
very easy to drive. much easier to maintain than 7.5t (had one of those too!)

check build and weight of the lorry!

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
If you have a pre '97 licence and have something 14.2+, then a 3.9 can give you the extra payload to safely take a passenger and enough hay, water, human stuff etc. for staying away, *or* let you safely transport a second so long as it's a small pony.

Also be aware that some 3.5 chassis are heavier than others - I was persuaded to build on a Merc Sprinter, but later found out it was about 200kg heavier than the same age Renault Master so I lost payload.