Horseboxes and VAT

Julia0803

Visit site
Hi there,

Can anyone please clarify something for me?

When is VAT applicable on a horsebox purchase for private use?

From looking at ads, and a brief chat with polly at traveltwo I assumed it was on new builds only. However I've seen a box that I'm interested in, which is being sold by the original builder but is second hand. The price is + VAT.

I queried this and have been told that 'all commercial vehicle sold by vat registered company's are plus vat it doesn't matter if there new or second hand'

Can anyone please confirm if this is the case? And if so how come on other dealers ads some boxes are +VAT and others not?

Thank you

tda

Visit site
I would think that if a horsebox builder /dealer says no vat on a specific vehicle they are advertising it on behalf of the owner, who as a non business owner will not charge vat

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks all, that's very helpful.

Vat is payable on all vehicles bought from a dealer its just that with cars it is already factored into the selling price . The dealer however only has to pay the VAT to HMRC on the profit between what he paid for it and what he sells it for.
Any business or individual will have to account for VAT in any sale of a commercial vehicle as they are not covered by the used car scheme. The only way to avoid it is to buy from a private sale.