Horseboxes - too good to be true?

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
So i have started to look for a lorry, can't decide what i want really i change my mind every five minutes. 7.5tonne with overnight if i can afford it, then sometimes think a 3.5tonne would be more practical BUT as my horse is at least 700kg worried about being overweight with two, so then go to 5.5tonne etc

Anyway when i search on H&H and say do a search for up to £20k (i can dream :D) it seems to be SUCH a variation in what you can get. Some of the larger lorries with overnight look AMAZING and yet people are asking for similar amounts for a G reg hunting box that looks like its falling apart!.

I know often the 'ladies boxes' are more expensive again as so much demand. Thankfully i am old enough not to have to worry about what i can drive on my licence etc.

Just interested in peoples experiences, my immediate instinct is the nicer looking ones are stolen, cut and shut jobs or something sinister!! Call me cynical! Or is it just that people have widely varying opinions on how much their boxes are worth?

Also what would you expect to pay for a 7.5t overnight 2/3 horse in decent condition?

Thanks!

windand rain

Visit site
somewhere between 5 and 10,000 depending on age and condition a lot more for a newer one as they cost upwards of 100,000 new

Abacus

Visit site
I found that the lorries with fancy paint jobs are not as good underneath, but they do look lovely in the pictures. You have to ignore the shiny outside and check out the mechanics, mileage, age and quality of build. You are completely right though that people have varying opinions of what their own box is worth, probably hoping that it hasn't gone down much since they bought it 10 years ago...

PS i have a 3.5 tonne box for a big horse who probably weighs as much as yours, and I can certainly take him in it - payload 1.1 tonnes, which gives me 400 for everything else. Obviously i would only carry one. The bit he actually stands in has larger dimensions than in my old 7.5 tonne box. You would get a nice one for 10-15k and expect to pay a lot less in maintenance per year.

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
PS i have a 3.5 tonne box for a big horse who probably weighs as much as yours, and I can certainly take him in it - payload 1.1 tonnes, which gives me 400 for everything else. Obviously i would only carry one. The bit he actually stands in has larger dimensions than in my old 7.5 tonne box. You would get a nice one for 10-15k and expect to pay a lot less in maintenance per year.

Thanks, i have to admit i am thinking it would be a lot less hassle to have a smaller one, my concern is that it ties me into only being able to just take her and not anyone else. I guess realistically when i had my trailer i didn't take people out THAT often, but would be good to be able to. I guess i would need a 1.3/1.4 payload which is why i started thinking about the 5.5 tonne options. Its SO confusing! In reality i want an Oakley with mahogany everything! NO CHANCE :D

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Have to agree with Abacus about the newer shiny looking horseboxes, we looked at a few that looked lovely on the outside but were rubbish conversions, wouldnt have wanted to put anything much bigger than a shetland in a few and they were the most pricey, I ended up looking at a 3.5 t Renault Master Equipe which was half of my budget, it was faded and a bit scruffy outside but it was like new inside and made really well and the safest one we looked at, mechanically it was sound so we bought it, Its been a really good lorry very easy to drive the horse has a lovely journey and that is what is most important to me, so what I am trying to say just because something looks a bit old and tired does not always mean its rubbish.

Spottyappy

Visit site
If you can drive. 7.5t, buy something of that ilk.
I had a lovely 3.5t, but having moved up to 7.5t, I wouldn't choose to go back. The bigger boxes do cost more to maintain,that's true.
However, IMHO, they give a much better ride,and are far more stable for the horses than the 3.5s.
Plus, you normally get a lot more for your money as 3.5t cost ridiculous amounts due to the fact they can be driven by the younger generation without needing to pass a test.
How much is your budget? Do you have any dealers near where you live,as they are a good way to have a look at several boxes in one place. They maybe slightly dearer than buying privately, but of course you have far more protection if something were wrong.
And, of course, always get a mechanic to check the box over before purchase, and preferably one that knows horses so the horse area can also be checked for safety.