Horseflies. Anyone else stop riding?

1rocky1

Visit site
Thanks all for replying seem to have eased offor a bit little ******* hope they have in your neck of the woods ! Regards richard.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I have scabby bites on my scalp which are itchy as anything. I was waiting for my physiotherapy appointment and was talking to this young man from Kent who got stung on the ankle by a wasp, was hospitalised for three weeks with a DVT and came close to losing his foot. The redness and swelling was awful to look at and it may be months before he can return to work. I didn't tell him how painful and inconvenient my rotator cuff injury is. 😊

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hi Anyone tried the bug bands that you attach to the horse and they last 15 days?

I am thinking of getting some but would be good to know if they work.

Thinking about these ones:

www.equinebugbands.com

No, they aren't working for me. I've got the 'Fly Off' ones with citronella inserts. ETA also not working for my friend and her CB. We're both riding big dark coloured horses and tried a band on a front leg and one on the opposite back leg. No impact at all on anything other than my bank balance.

HuT

Visit site
No, they aren't working for me. I've got the 'Fly Off' ones with citronella inserts. ETA also not working for my friend and her CB. We're both riding big dark coloured horses and tried a band on a front leg and one on the opposite back leg. No impact at all on anything other than my bank balance.

I am using the Equine Bug bands ones... they were much cheaper than gthe fly off ones and i have to say they seem to be working... the flys are around but dont seem to be landing on me or the horse. My horse particular doesnt like them around the face so i attached one to head collar and defo had an effect.

cowgirl1969

Visit site
Hi, I have kept my horses on the same land for over 25 years and I have rarely had a bite on myself or the horses, they often share with cows and never have fly rugs only masks and repellent.
However I moved the horses for a holiday to a boyfriends field 14 miles away and the horse flies were dreadful. All the horses there wore fly rugs and riding was difficult, we didn’t stay long. My point is you don’t have to move counties to potentially solve a problem.
The boyfriend had flat sandy fields near to woods, I have a hilly field with chalky land. At the minute I’m not riding just because it’s too hot so you’re not on your own.

naomibmck

Visit site
I would recommend liquid piriton straight after a bite- I haven't tried it for horse bites, but I have serious food allergies and taking that stops a serious allergic reaction and works very quickly However be careful, it can make some people drowsy!