Horsefly bite- how to reduce size???

TallulahBright

Visit site
My mare has a huge swelling where a horsefly bit her, right under where girth lies. I took her to a show today and she bucked around (not her style at all) with something clearly bothering her. Does anyone have any top tips for how to get it to go down? Bless her... Sensitive TB skin:(

Last edited:

Quantock-cob

Visit site
I think you need to give her a few days off work to let the swelling go down. Obviously she was uncomfortable with a girth done up over the bite. Poor girl :(

Miramis

Visit site
My mare had a huge bite, it was nearly the size of a golf ball, my vet gave me fuciderm cream and in a few days it was half the size and after a week all but gone. Very effective.

Ang

Follychoppins

Visit site
I agree with the fuciderm - it is a marvel and antibiotic to boot - I always have a tube from my vet now. Also walk her out in hand, the movement increases blood flow which reduces the swelling too. Bathe with hibiscrub and apply aloe gel that works too :)

Nikki1204

Visit site
My pony had 2 last week... i wash them in an iodine solution to reduce the risk of infection and then put calomine lotion on, within a couple of days they are more or less gone!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I got bitten by one yesterday, on my bum! It bit through my jogging bottoms before anyone comments...:p

It's mahoosive now, and hurts like hell...I've slapped sudocrem on it.

Who invented horseflies?? Flippin' things....

Equinus

Visit site
Not just the thin skinned ones, our chunky lad...possible shire cross....has a big lump on his chest, and one has just gone down after a week very close to the saddle. They're really awful at the moment.

Spottyappy

Visit site
For humans- if you don;t mind smelling like a chip shop;), malt vinegar is fantastic. Takes the sting away very quickly, and often the swelling has gone by the morning.Its old fashioned, but works! Not tried it on the horses, but it may do the same!

doonrocket

Visit site
I used savalon spray. says it's for bites and seems to have had an effect, also seems to keep the flies off. I've rubbed sudacrem on ones where they've itched the top to a scab and found it very effective.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I got bitten by one yesterday, on my bum! It bit through my jogging bottoms before anyone comments...:p

It's mahoosive now, and hurts like hell...I've slapped sudocrem on it.

QUOTE]

Oh no :O - gosh poor you. How blimmin uncomfortable.

Yep, I'm riding in the morning as well, will be a steady plod, couldn't cope with a faster pace!