Horsefly traps

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Not sure what they are called but Ive seen them advertised from about £100. They look like little lampshades with a ballcock hanging from them!! Anyone use one in a field, does it help. Its not just horseflies, its all flies, we are being invaded already and they are already reminding me why I hate summer

canteron

Visit site
Mmm - I have used with limited success. ... they need to be positioned correctly and if your land is boggy then IMO the relief is limited.
Maybe need more than one ?

cauda equina

Visit site
A cheaper version of horsefly traps is an inflatable black ball which you cover with glue and hang up
I think Kramer sell them but have no idea how effective they are

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Noooo, not yet, surely!

I have no idea what I am going to do this year, as Rigsby has a big black bottom that they will make a bee line for, and he is too hot to rug! I can see him being out overnight.

A cheaper version of horsefly traps is an inflatable black ball which you cover with glue and hang up
I think Kramer sell them but have no idea how effective they are

I bought a cheaper version, you can, apparently, use a black bucket upturned, and buy the glue. It is the colour and heat that black gives off when heated in the sun that attracts. I bought the glue, but then a friend implored me not to use it, as it catches indiscriminately.

She showed me a video on FB of bees and birds stuck to various things with the glue. It stayed in my tack room!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I bought a cheaper version, you can, apparently, use a black bucket upturned, and buy the glue. It is the colour and heat that black gives off when heated in the sun that attracts. I bought the glue, but then a friend implored me not to use it, as it catches indiscriminately.

She showed me a video on FB of bees and birds stuck to various things with the glue. It stayed in my tack room!

This is what I use, only with a black spacehopper rather than a bucket. I've never had a bee or bird stuck to it and do catch some horse flies. It does catch the odd beetle but we have enough to spare around here. It may depend on where you site it of course.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister made two using black buckets and sticky stuff. Caught a lot of flies and midges but very few horse flies. Perhaps we just didn't get the placing right or we didn't have many horse flies that year,