Horsepital and rehab - reccomendations, costs etc

darksecret99

Visit site
Had the vet out today as my horse has been not quite himself for a few weeks and suddenly went lame yesterday... vet is not sure if its a hock or pelvis problem or a bit of both... and they have no big scanners, so he has been refered to horsepital for scans etc

He is insured for vets fees etc, but I always get paranoid that the insurance wont cough up for ages and I will need to pay it all up front - any idea of costs etc? Vet reckons he will be there a week or so and have scans of legs and pelvis... I'm just after a rough idea...

And costs for rehab yards too - I live in Guernsey, so it will proabably be impractical to bring him back and forth, so he might have to spend some time in England.... but I doubt insurance will cover that...

I know it all depends on exactly what treatment is needed and how long, but I have no idea if wer are even talking tens, hundreds or thousands a week!!

Also, any reccomendations or where is good are welcome!

Thanks

Perissa

Visit site
I highly recommend Equine Mechanics who got my boy sound after MAJOR joint surgery. In fact its her riding him in my sig pic.

They have horses sent there from abroad all the time but there is usually a waiting list as they are so busy.

I am rubbish with place names but they nearish Hindhead / Hampshire way.

If you're interested I'll PM you the number.

brightmount

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He is insured for vets fees etc, but I always get paranoid that the insurance wont cough up for ages and I will need to pay it all up front

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you insured with? I'm with Petplan and never have to pay upfront. I just fill in the claim form that you can download online and give it to the vet or referral surgery, and they send it off and get paid direct.

The only bit you would have to pay would be the excess, which the vet would bill you for later to reflect the shortfall on the insurer's settlement.

kizzywiz

Visit site
My friend runs a brill rehab clinic called Fern Farm in Lambourn, my pony was there for a month & they did a great job. PM me if you want the number.