Horses and Alpacas?

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I'm planning on getting some to keep with my two horses, hoping that they will help keep the weeds down, but shouldn't have to put any extra fencing up as if had sheep I'd have to sheep fence the whole field. I think Alpacas are really cute and can't wait to have them.
Windswoo how did the introduction of alpacas go? I’m looking at getting some to keep with my 2 horses and any hints or tips for introduction to the horses would be great!

windswoo

Visit site
Oh, I haven't got them yet!!!! Think it's going to be a while until I do unfortunately, as working full time and having very clay soil down the yard may not be good for keeping them.
It's going to be one of the things I get when I win the lottery :)

only_me

Visit site
Late to the party but - My horse lives with 3 alpacas & 2 donkeys in the field. They’re out 24/7 together and all get really well! He is also at Least 17hh so quite a size difference.

you really need to get 3 alpacas as a minimum for company, and the really aren’t any hassle tbh. They get clipped once a year, teeth done twice and feet done as often as needed. They get hay with the horse but otherwise no hard feed.

The main issue you might have is if you use white tape for fencing - alpaca’s do not respect white tape and don’t feel the electric zap because of the wool! I had 3 strand fencing up as needed horse on a small area yet they dropped their head and stepped under and over the tape! You would also need to watch if you bring a dog to the field as they generally Consider them a threat and may attach, but if they recognise the dog and understand it’s yours they usually accept them.
Alpacas also aren’t meant to spit at you, if they do it tends to be poor breeding. They are entertaining To watch!

AC889337-47EE-4A05-A98B-FCDD903224FD.jpeg

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Oh, I haven't got them yet!!!! Think it's going to be a while until I do unfortunately, as working full time and having very clay soil down the yard may not be good for keeping them.
It's going to be one of the things I get when I win the lottery :)

Aww I hope you eventually get your alpacas eventually! :)

Late to the party but - My horse lives with 3 alpacas & 2 donkeys in the field. They’re out 24/7 together and all get really well! He is also at Least 17hh so quite a size difference.

you really need to get 3 alpacas as a minimum for company, and the really aren’t any hassle tbh. They get clipped once a year, teeth done twice and feet done as often as needed. They get hay with the horse but otherwise no hard feed.

The main issue you might have is if you use white tape for fencing - alpaca’s do not respect white tape and don’t feel the electric zap because of the wool! I had 3 strand fencing up as needed horse on a small area yet they dropped their head and stepped under and over the tape! You would also need to watch if you bring a dog to the field as they generally Consider them a threat and may attach, but if they recognise the dog and understand it’s yours they usually accept them.
Alpacas also aren’t meant to spit at you, if they do it tends to be poor breeding. They are entertaining To watch!

Thank you for your advice and I love the photo of all your gang together! My goals right there in one photo!

We seem to have acquired 1 sheep too from one of our neighbouring fields!

Thankfully my fields are either drystone walling or post and rail so will be secure.

Abacus

Visit site
Also consider Pygmy goats. Larger goats tend to be escape artists. Pygmies will graze the grass quicker than you think and are super cute. Personally I prefer them to sheep. However as with sheep or alpacas, horses might attack them. We sadly lost a goat that was kicked very deliberately by a pony.

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Also consider Pygmy goats. Larger goats tend to be escape artists. Pygmies will graze the grass quicker than you think and are super cute. Personally I prefer them to sheep. However as with sheep or alpacas, horses might attack them. We sadly lost a goat that was kicked very deliberately by a pony.

Aww so sorry about the goat :confused:. I would love pygmies but I’m sure they would get out somewhere!

So far both my horses completely ignore the sheep so hoping same goes for the alpacas. Is there a way to introduce them to start with?

windswoo

Visit site

View attachment 101614
Your picture is so cute!!!!
One of my lads is also 17hh, but he's a bit of a wuss and will probably run the other way.
We have a field that we used to ride past that had alpacas and on the whole the horses were fine, but obviously it's different when introducing them together.
Interesting what you say about the tape as that is the only thing that keeps my big chap in line. That's all I'll need if the alpacas take it down for him!!
Definitely makes me want to look into it again.
Ababcus - another sorry for the goat - I think ours would be the same with something too small, they'd be more likely to attack it and at least with the alpacas they would give them a wide berth at first

Zoeypxo

Visit site
The farm I used to livery on had llamas in the field with sheep. No problem. Pigs - fine. Cows :eek: not a chance. So its hard to say!.
Someone at my yard recently bumped into a field with reindeer. Horses proceeded to turn and run for it !