Horses and babies/children.

Merlod

Visit site
You sound angry and resentful about everything.

I agree, also slightly confused that someone who has given up everything equine in favour of children and "doesn't miss it one bit" would want to spend their time on a horse form either...

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You sound angry and resentful about everything.

That wasn't how I intended my post to come across. Text is often difficult to get right.
I love being a mother, it's the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. It can be boring sometimes as babies aren't always very exciting but I certainly don't resent it.
I was sad to sell the horse initially but it was the best decision all round. I no longer have the guilt of being pulled in too many directions and he has a loving home with plenty of attention, which is exactly what he deserves. I honestly haven't missed it at all. I love family life, even though it did take some adjusting to initially. I love seeing my daughter grow and develop, and I genuinely don't miss horse ownership. Currently I can't imagine ever getting another but we'll see in a few years!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I agree, also slightly confused that someone who has given up everything equine in favour of children and "doesn't miss it one bit" would want to spend their time on a horse form either...

Force of habit from being on here for years. Because I've got to know people and still enjoy reading threads. Because just because I don't have my own doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing what other people do with theirs. There are plenty of people posting in the soapbox who don't own horses or ride.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I think the whole horse and child thing is a contentious issue for many people on here. I have worked hard to keep my horses going and keep riding since having mine but its hard and I am often caught between feeling guilty that I am either neglecting one or t'other.
I have finally conceded that I will have to sell one of my horses to lighten the load but its been a long road to get to that decision because I will find it so hard to part with any of them. I very much admire mums that appear to do it all as its easy to lose yourself in motherhood!

I am in awe of mums who manage to do it all, especially when they're out competing too. It's very hard and for me something had to give, and that was horse ownership.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Me! Snap! i have a 5yo and a month old baby. Im lucky that my 5yo is now at school which is amazing... but he was so easy - he'd fall asleep in anything (car / buggy etc) but wouldnt in your arms weirdly. Yet this baby is very clingy. We're battling with reflux or a potential dairy intolerance so that doesnt help as he wants to be upright most of the time. I havent started riding again yey as Im unsure how to! I keep my horses at home so have nobody to help when my OH is at work. This morning I hoped he'd sleep on the sofa for 15 mins so I could feed the horses but nope, had to put him in the carrier which makes jobs so much harder. Im typing this now whilst holding him with my other arm!

I cant wait for light evenings so I can ride properly once my OH is home and can have the children!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I would be putting baby in his pram and getting on with stable duties, as long as he is warm enough I wouldn't be too worried if he cries, he is very small and spring is on its way so it will get easier. Stick at it, it will get easier.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I was very close to PND after my first son the health visitor thought. I had with a young baby who was suffering from undiagnosed silent reflux. I had ponies in four different places and was struggling to care for them all as I wanted to. Something had to change.

One mare went out on loan (then sold) and I found somewhere else for the colt. It is difficult if you have a BF baby and no other help apart from a husband who is out at work all day. That winter was particularly difficult. Trying to keep two exercised as well was a nightmare.

The early years can be testing but when they get older it does get easier as they are not so dependent on you for everything. :)

pippixox

Visit site
HOPE you are surviving OP. This is certainly an interesting thread. AS I said earlier- I've got no real tips, just have to suck it up! I will (all going well) have a new baby in July! 2 under 2 madness! But i personally still can't get rid of my horses as they make me me. I love being a mum but my horses are my sanctuary. Even if I only get to see them on my own at the weekend. They are perfectly happy and I cope (just) monday-Friday with baby in tow. He learnt to crawl in the barn!!