Horses and Babies help please!

Abacus

Visit site
Just be prepared for eventualities including how baby is delivered and how you feel afterwards, from cracking on the next day through to needing weeks to recover. You’re not weak if you do, it’s just life and parenthood! You’ll be more relaxed knowing you have the bases covered. As an example I had a thing after my son was born which meant I was flat on my back for a few days - OH managing the baby and housework and so on - don’t think he’d have had time for the horses as well! But I still rode on day 4 and was eventing within 8 weeks, you never know what’ll happen.

Babies are so adaptable and you’ll train it to jog along with you at the yard and organise horses around feeds and naps.

Oh and don’t beat yourself up over anything that doesn’t go to plan. How you give birth or if breastfeeding doesn’t go as well as you hope. They all grow up the same in the end. Good luck, please update! X

dorsetladette

Visit site
Sharers? Just a thought.

Freelancer for the first few weeks if you can. Ponies out 24/7 if possible. Can you put a round bale feeder in the field so you don't have to carry hay for the first couple of weeks.
I'd also get a 'yard pram' as much as you try the smell of horse pee really will linger in those foam/rubber wheels. You don't want to be turning up to 'nice clean people' activities/events/lunches/etc with a wiff of horse pee lol.

If you drive up and baby is asleep in the car leave them there and keep an eye. It's your yard, baby will be safe there. Leave a door open if it's warm and you feel comfortable doing so.

When hubby goes back to work, try to do evening stables/checks after he is home from work so you get a little time to yourself - it's not selfish.

Don't think you need to be superwoman! If baby is clean and fed and horses have hay and water your doing OK. The laundry can wait, the pots can wait, if you eat the same thing everyday for a week it's OK.

Don't be to hard on yourself and enjoy being a mum.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
Agree with others! I don’t understand why people make a routine around their baby and insist they have to stay at home and cant leave the house, both mine had to fit in to my routine 🤣 i had 2 straight forward births, rode up to 36 weeks pregnant then was back on board 2 days after 🤣
Babies sleep a lot so i did all my yard jobs while they would sleep in the car (i could literally park my car right outside my stables) and you will find with a 10 min drive (same as what i had) that baby will fall asleep whilst you drive there. I was lucky that my horses were kept at my mums so she would used to babysit while i rode

Hard stage is when they get to about 6/9 months and they dont sleep as much , arent content in the pram but also cant walk yet to be able to come out on the yard if that makes sense. It gets easier again when they are about 18 months and can walk well and then they can play on the yard whilst you’re mucking out etc

Polos Mum

Visit site
Also be prepared for weird side effects. the hormones that relax you ligaments to allow the baby out are relatively non specific (as Nudibranch says above) I found my feet when up a shoe size as they sort of spread out.
That never recovered and loads of other people afterwards have said it's not uncommon. But my amazingly wonderful leather competition boots had to be retired. I'm still sad about that 13 years later!

Palindrome

Visit site
My son never slept in the car (he just cried his head off) or in his cot. I was desperate for sleep so when he slept I crept around and tried to rest.
I didn't get much riding in the first year. I could only ride at the week-end when my husband was at home.
When baby number 2 was born, number one was a toddler so not much more riding was taking place.

I did free lunge my mare with baby in the sling, she was a sharp but adorable mare and my son (about 10 months) liked it and would give out instructions to the horse copying me.

exracehorse

Visit site
It’s incredibly tough. Luckily we are coming out of winter. Although doesn’t feel like it with all this rain. Sleep deprivation is the worst. Babies can sleep in a pram while your mucking out etc. You just have to ignore the screaming while you’re turning out etc! When they want to crawl then walk …. I remember it well. It’s so hard. I didn’t even ride really until he started nursery at age 2. And that was for just the morning three days a week as we couldn’t afford anymore. I was on DIY with no help.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
Hello everyone, thought I would update and let you guys know what I am needing a C-Section now which changes things a bit!

I've saved a nice long paddock to put them in closer to the date, and my husband is going to call up check and poo pick for me but otherwise they'll just stay in there.

Hopefully I'll be up and about quicker than I'm expecting but I'll report back for anyone who might come across this thread with the same situation :)

meleeka

Visit site
Hello everyone, thought I would update and let you guys know what I am needing a C-Section now which changes things a bit!

I've saved a nice long paddock to put them in closer to the date, and my husband is going to call up check and poo pick for me but otherwise they'll just stay in there.

Hopefully I'll be up and about quicker than I'm expecting but I'll report back for anyone who might come across this thread with the same situation :)

Good luck! When is D-Day?

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Best of luck! It'll be much easier for you having them live out whilst you're recovering. I had an emergency c section and I didn't feel well enough getting to the yard for 2-3 weeks after, so I was really grateful to have some help. Don't rush getting back to the stables, just enjoy your little bubble at home with your newborn whilst you recover :) When my daughter was tiny, I used to leave her in her car seat outside the stable whilst I mucked out, and then transferred her into a sling whilst I turned out. I used to do all my nets on the weekend whilst my husband had her, so I could just tie them up whilst she was in a sling, as I worried about filling up nets near her with the dust. Be careful not to overdo it in the first few weeks as you don't want to risk opening your scar.

Look forward to photo updates when they're here!

Reactions: SEL

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
Best of luck! It'll be much easier for you having them live out whilst you're recovering. I had an emergency c section and I didn't feel well enough getting to the yard for 2-3 weeks after, so I was really grateful to have some help. Don't rush getting back to the stables, just enjoy your little bubble at home with your newborn whilst you recover :) When my daughter was tiny, I used to leave her in her car seat outside the stable whilst I mucked out, and then transferred her into a sling whilst I turned out. I used to do all my nets on the weekend whilst my husband had her, so I could just tie them up whilst she was in a sling, as I worried about filling up nets near her with the dust. Be careful not to overdo it in the first few weeks as you don't want to risk opening your scar.

Look forward to photo updates when they're here!
Thank you and some great advice there xx

Upthecreek

Visit site
You have timed it well! Hopefully we will finally have some decent weather for your first few weeks with baby and horses will be easy to manage🤞🏻