Horses and cows...

Marnie

Visit site
Slightly odd question... are there any problems with horses and cows being turned out together? Mine are turned out with a herd and seem to be having a bit of an identity crisis and are usually found in the middle and cows and horse / pony seem happy with the arrangement! Horse and pony have no back shoes on. The horses are on restricted access to grass and the cows are not on any additional feed. I can't find anything about parasite issues across the two - is there anything I have missed?

Thanks!

20200928_203354.jpg

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Slightly odd question... are there any problems with horses and cows being turned out together? Mine are turned out with a herd and seem to be having a bit of an identity crisis and are usually found in the middle and cows and horse / pony seem happy with the arrangement! Horse and pony have no back shoes on. The horses are on restricted access to grass and the cows are not on any additional feed. I can't find anything about parasite issues across the two - is there anything I have missed?

Thanks!

View attachment 55977

Nice looking herd... are they Polled Herefords? Your horses, with their blue coats, look like they are the ones in charge.

Marnie

Visit site
Nice looking herd... are they Polled Herefords? Your horses, with their blue coats, look like they are the ones in charge.

I know they are Herefords, not sure about the polled! They are very nice cows though and I think the horses are using them as windbreaks!

paddy555

Visit site
some of ours spent their formative years living with cows. We have none of the problems of people whose horses are terrified going past cattle. Ours love them and want to bring them home :D

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Cattle hoover up horse worms and horses hoover up cattle worms - win win. They have different ones so no problems. Then horses will graze up to cow pats and cattle up to horse apples so nicer fresher grass for both species.

J&S

Visit site
My ponies were on a farm with cattle and shared the hay feeder with them. The coloured mare obviously distinguished between her cows and other cows as she has always been wary scary of cattle in fields when passing!

scruffyponies

Visit site
The only thing I would worry about is the grass itself. Cattle are usually put onto rich rye grass which is not ideal for horses.

That said, I had an arab who spent years out with dairy cattle... he used to follow them into the milking parlour and even ate silage without coming to any harm.

Reactions: TPO

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Stick tea tree oil in their tails. A really simple way of stopping it early because once they start chewing the tails you are screwed.