Horses and GCSES

itsapiebald

Visit site
I'm going into year 11 this and wondering how people cope with balancing school and horses?

My horse is on DIY livery, luckily another livery turns out in the morning and I fetch in for her at night so that does make things easier.

My horse is unrideble but I still have another pony to exercise....

Anyone who had horses in year 11...how often could you ride each week?

Ahrena

Visit site
I rode 2 every day all through my gcse's and a-levels. And left with good grades. (And I'm not one of those people who sailed through exams doing no work, o had to work very hard for my a-levels).

But you need a break. You can't be at school all day then go home and study for hours without a break.

wills_91

Visit site
I just carried on as normal through equivalent exams and college (with a baby as well) organise your time we'll and you'll be fine. You can't be studying all the time.

pippixox

Visit site
my horse was on part livery while I was at school. But like others said, I basically continued to ride as normal (2-3 times a week, mostly weekends as needed parents to drive me to yard as not that local)
So important to have a break from school work and revision. I always had a clearer head after I had some fresh air at the yard. I just had to make sure I did not faff to avoid revision!

Shay

Visit site
It is perfectly possible. My daughter's experience isn't terribly relevant as she was home educated so managing a competition string and getting top grade GCSEs was easier. But from friends children in school they found that the break from schoolwork / revision was beneficial. You can combine the two (sort of) if you read your notes onto an MP3 player so you can listen as you ride etc. Or have the audio books for whatever texts you are doing in English. It certainly is not a time to give up or cut down too much. You might find in the height of the exams you can't ride as much - but the ponies will enjoy the break. And usually others around you will be supportive about covering yard chores etc to help.

LouisCat

Visit site
I was riding 2 every day and sorting them morning and evening. It was A levels that was harder work to fit in

Haz:)

Visit site
I'm going into Y11 too! Don't worry, where there is a will there is a way. I'm not worried, however my horses are on 24/7 turnout though, so I just will have to get up early to feed the TB (ponies don't get breakfast because they are fatties!). I have a friend that does the same. :)

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
I didn't find my GCSEs that hard... So yeah, I jut carried on as normal (maybe rode them slightly less during actual exam time, but hey seemed to enjoy having a couple of quieter weeks).

Laura Dora

Visit site
I just carried on usual. Riding about 3 times a week and more when it came to study break I rode everyday that I didn't go to collage.
You need to have a break from work. And it helps you concentrate I found after doing something else.

lewis2015

Visit site
I am a teacher and can see from my students that getting through GCSE and A'Level is a hard time. However, the ones who do it most successfully are the ones who keep a healthy balance of school work and hobbies, who do study and work hard, but who also give themselves breaks and allow themselves time off to enjoy things they like.

I taught a student many years ago whose parents sold her two horses during her GCSE year in order to make her work harder, however it was counter-productive as she was so upset over the horses she completely lost focus on school.

I'd say continue with your horses as normal, but don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends when you need it! Don't struggle on if the workload is becoming overwhelming. Also do talk to your teachers about your situation as I know from my students, I'd always rather they let me know if they were struggling time wise and we can always arrange things like short essay extensions etc. Good luck with your GCSEs! :)

scats

Visit site
I'm now a teacher, but when I was at school I continued to look after and compete my ponies all through my GCSES, A-Levels and two degrees (I stayed at home to keep the horses).

My advice as a teacher, with several students in the same situation as you, don't give up the horses. Yes, you will have a lot of work to do for school, but you will need down time every single day and if your pony is your chill out/social/happy time then keep hold of that with both hands. Education is important, but only a happy person will perform their best.

Best of luck with the year ahead, you will be fine.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My daughter had horses when she was doing her exams. Some people she knew sold their horses so they could concentrate on the exams but she didn't. It worked out great, we helped her, as always, with the looking after the horse, turning out, mucking out etc but she still rode. The riding gave her a well earned break & chill time away from her studies & that was a real tonic for her. Sometimes when cramming for exams you need a break from it, your mind can't take in anymore, & the horse riding gives you the well earned break.

This was years ago, she's late 20's now, she still has her horse & they still go out & compete. He's her best friend & very special, he'll be with us for life.

Last edited:

HoneyMonster1

Visit site
As previous people have said, GCSEs are not the problem, its A levels that will be harder. GCSEs I could ride 4-5 times a week with no problem, at a school with a lot of homework! A levels are much more difficult. Sometimes I can only ride twice a week. But I would say it depends on you, how you are with organisation and what subjects you choose to take. Also, I did things like make up extra haynets and feeds when I knew I was going to be very busy. Its possible, you just have to plan ahead. GCSEs shouldn't take too much of your time away from your horse other than in the run up with revision etc. Good luck!!

itsapiebald

Visit site
Thankyou for all the replies!!
I've done quite a lot of coursework in year 10 so I'm hoping that will make things easier and because I'm in higher sets for all my subjects we started our year 11 work back in May 😊

It's nice to here that other people have balanced ponies on diy livery and school...most people in my year have horses on full livery...

I think teachers make year 11 sound harder than it is because of the kids that haven't done there work in year 10, even though I'm ahead in all my subjects it does make me worry!!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
To some extent, you'll just have to try it and see. If you are finding it too much you can always geta sharer or out out to loan if need be, equally though you may find it a good tonic to school work and exams!

I personally found GCSE's harder timewise than A Levels, as I used my free periods in Sixth Form to keep up to date with study & revision, so I had more free time during my evenings & weekends for horses.

itsapiebald

Visit site
I have one pony that I exercise and show for her owner and one unrideble pony so sharing isn't an option. The ponys owner is quite flexible and doesn't mind me giving the pony a week off if I'm struggling for time

Visit site
I took on a horse on loan in April, just the month before I started my GCSE's. Stick to your routine now, GCSE's aren't as scary as you think. Just pay attention in class and really try to get the learning and revision done in school hours. As it gets closer to the actual exams it may be worth asking for some help if needed but I found no issue having to go up to see my new loanie 3 times a week as it was a good escape from all the revison so definitely keep it up!

Haz:)

Visit site
Ah, I see. Your lucky with the coursework. My school dumped all coursework years ago so it's all dependent on an exam (much to my annoyance). I only have art coursework. Oh well, I'll just have to continue revision throughout the year...

And I hate to go off topic but I can't help myself. Do you think that biology GCSE exam was downright terrible? I just about died inside when it asked about an independent company. I completely forgot to revise business studies... For a biology exam. :p

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Do not be fooled, year 11 is not a doodle. Teachers are not there to trick you, most are pragmatic realists. I work in a year 11 centre, I say the say thing EVERY year and not one young person listens. Year 11 goes in a flash. Sept to Dec takes a while but once Christamas is past.......Woosh!!!!! It's good you got your course work done but now the real work begins. Yes keep your horses going, as other have said, I did my o levels, A levels , betec and degree all with horses, four at one point. However you have to be smart and make plans so that at the really busy periods your education is your focus. Riding and horses will keep you sane but at times they will have to take a back seat.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I rode mine 6 days a week whilst on DIY. It seemed harder at the time to fit it all in. Looking back its a doodle in comparison to full time work!

You need a break in between school and revision. But don't feel the pressure to ride if your tired/ dont have time.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Honestly I just continued as normal - just really utilise your lunch times and free periods at school, and make sure you do some work during holidays and you'll be fine.

You always find a way - you can't work every hour of the day, you need breaks, so use your horses for that!

itsapiebald

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies!

Unfortunately we don't have free periods now as they have filled them with extra pe lessons!!! Crazy I know!!

I'm already hoping to go to art every lunch time because that's the subject I need most help in! The other subjects I can do at home 😊

I think I'm going to make Haynets and feeds a few days, maybe a week in advance to save me time in the week and then I should be able to fit riding in no problem! Hopefully anyway!

I got Cs and Bs in all my mock exams apart from one so that makes me feel a bit more confident...although I did get an F in re because we've had a French teacher all year!!!

VioletStripe

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies!

Unfortunately we don't have free periods now as they have filled them with extra pe lessons!!! Crazy I know!!

I'm already hoping to go to art every lunch time because that's the subject I need most help in! The other subjects I can do at home ��

I think I'm going to make Haynets and feeds a few days, maybe a week in advance to save me time in the week and then I should be able to fit riding in no problem! Hopefully anyway!

I got Cs and Bs in all my mock exams apart from one so that makes me feel a bit more confident...although I did get an F in re because we've had a French teacher all year!!!

Definitely - there are some amazing time-saving tips on here.
You could deep litter your beds, or try to get them turned out as much as possible; make up feeds in freezer bags for the next week, so all you have to do is dump them in the feed bucket, make up a week's haynets as well; only grooming the necessary bits during the week, and then a full groom on the weekend...
Really worth looking at the threads on here for inspiration.

Also, it might be worth talking to your head of year and getting a note from parents re PE - I was really fortunate that during my A Levels, my PE session was on a Wednesday afternoon after lunch, for the rest of the day. I got a note from my parents explaining I was an avid rider and went competing a bit, and my head of year then allowed me my PE afternoon off to go to the yard. So, if it works out like that, it could definitely be worth an ask?
I wasn't always able to actually go on the PE afternoon because of train times, I would actually work at home for the afternoon and then wait until the trains got better or until parents got home to give me a lift, and would then go in the evening as a reshuffle.

Also re work - I found doing it all in advance really helped. I would often spend a morning on the weekend doing all the homework due in for the next week, and also staying on top of notes etc. Holidays I would then do notes and revise a couple of hours a day, so you're constantly doing a little bit and staying on top of it - so there's no panicking and bad time management later. Also, even now during my uni career I spend the holidays (which are now very long, thanks to uni - lucky me :D ) keeping on top of all my yard stuff. So I do all the maintenance now, and get my horse as fit as a possibly can. So, by the time the term starts again, he's easier to keep fit and ride with less time on my hands!