horses and OH's

fathorselover

Visit site
Ahhhh- I am slightly jealous of people with horsey oh's! My husband is great and doesnt complain but in all honesty couldn't really care less about horses- I would love it if he learned to ride!

Mister Ted

Visit site
My husband was resentful of time I spent with my horse although it was certainly not excessive time ,but among other issues it finally destroyed our relationship.Time spent with my horse during that time saved my sanity.!Just to stand and relax with him in his stable was healing, that quiet understanding.

My advice would be if your problem is resolved why not get back into them,dont let others put you off.

Dizzle

Visit site
We're also very much of the 'it makes me happy but he has no interest' school of thought. Even worse than one that refuses to let you have horses is one that wants to join in... it was cringeworthy, he wanted to come to the yard every day and hang out and 'EFF OFF IT's MY HOBBY'! He didn't drive either and said he'd learn to drive after he'd learned to ride :-/

I had a horse hater once, he didn't speak to me for a day when I got a share horse and would roll his eyes and storm out of the room if they were mentioned. In the end he dumped me! I said to him I wanted to buy a horse before I was 30, and he asked me how on earth I thought I was going to do that. When I did buy a horse (well before 30) and told him he started gloating about his new Audi. Now I have a horse AND a better Audi than him! :D

Lintel

Visit site
Thankfully not I'm afraid I'd clobber mine!
I'd reckon you should do the same... How anybody can live without it horses... I don't know!!

horseybohemian

Visit site
Originally posted by noodle:

"He rode her for the first time the other week...and [un?]fortunately loved it.... says hes better than me and will go galloping next time - and you know what the sod probably will......"

That's hilarious! Don't know why but it really made me laugh :)

Shantara

Visit site
I've told my OH that Ned will ALWAYS come first and he said it's fine, he realises that Ned is a big, furry baby to me and he needs me.
I've had a few who didn't like it, in the past, but they soon became ex-boyfriends!

I almost succeeded in getting OH on Ned yesterday, but sadly it was rained off :( hopefully next week! :D

Good luck, I know how annoying it can be, but hopefully he'll change his mind :)

godfreyy

Visit site
My OH is very supportive. I stopped riding due to personal circumstances quite some time ago (before him). He realised I missed it and encouraged me to get back into it, and supported me when I told him I wanted to buy a youngster - sent me ads to look at and came to all the viewings.

He's only dared to get on my older horse once, for about a minute and then got off and says he will get on again someday. But really he's happy to pat and feed them and will occasionally help me muck out. He much prefers using my horse time to go play golf, which suits really as by the time I'm done with the horses he's finishing up too.

wiz07

Visit site
My husband was very unsupportive of my move back into horses 5 years after we got married....
Needless to say - the horses are my life and he is no longer my husband :)

Landcruiser

Visit site
My OH will willingly poo pick or clean the yard, but he's hopeless at handling them - he thinks they are like big dogs, and moves too quickly and scares them, or whistles for them and wonders why they ignore him, and he gets rugs every single way round but the right way. He has ridden a few times - sack of spuds doesn't come close - and he never really took to it. He is clueless and admits it, but he's more supportive now they are at home than when I was paying for livery. We did have a long time when he got very resentful about the time and money the horses ate up, but he quite likes having them around at home I think.

FairyLights

Visit site
My husband is extremely supportive of my horses, he pays for everything for them, looks after the stables and field , helps me with them and very occasionally rides. He's the reason I am still a horse owner and rider. He is just the best. I cant imagin life with a partner who didnt support my hobby.

3OldPonies

Visit site
My husband has NO interest in horses, but he accepts that they make me really happy so just goes along with it all. I think some people just have non negotiables in their lives, and horse people are like that. if any of my boyfriends had voiced strong disapproval for my hobby, then i'd have to say they'd be out the door. Horses last a lot longer than most boyfriends do! My poor hubby has just been ground down to accept the fact there's always gonna be horses around, and that i'l always be spending a lot of time with them.

^^^^^ THIS!!!!!

rachk89

Visit site
Being very honest, if a guy was telling me to get rid of a horse, I'd say 'bye bye' to him and walk away. I wouldn't even give him a chance to apologise because to me, he should never have said that. The horse will always place higher than the guy even if I had a husband and they had better realise that quickly, because frankly the boyfriend/husband can look after himself, the horse cant. :)

Only thing that I would listen to is if they were questioning if the horse was safe for me and wanted me to see sense as I wasn't.

Soup Dragon

Visit site
My OH is against me getting another horse after the loss of mine. This is mainly due to him seeing the stress and worry that I have went through in the last few years struggling to keep the pony heathly, have time for everything and (the biggest part) how it was effecting me financially.
I am lucky enough to ride a friends pony a couple of times a week, which he is happy with but will only accept me owning another if I can prove I can afford to pay for it (and any vet bills) and preferably keep it on part livery. A compromise that is sensible and I am happy with

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Well my pony came to our wedding:). Marry me, marry my pony.

My nags are a major part of my life and therefore part of me. I did cut down when pregnant, but now back up to a reasonable number. ;)

Hubby is fine with it and accepts the hours that I spend with them. I do however, make sure that we have family time on Sundays.