Horses and the food chain.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
On G's passport, there is an option as to wether you would like to opt your horse out of the possibility of going into the foodchain or not.

I'm not sure if all passports have it... but if yours has, have you ticked it / not ticked it? and why?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I ticked 'Not for human consumption' on my 2yo as I think she may be toxic...
S
laugh.gif

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I ticked not for human consumption, as I don't like the thought of him being eaten, or him dying infact! Plus I want him to have medication if he gets ill and I thought they couldn't have this if you want them to go for human consumption?

JAK

Visit site
When LBO pops his clogs, the hounds can have him but I don't want him ending up in the equivalent of a Maccy D or something!"

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought burgers in general were made from cow's anus, eyelids etc...not horses?
S
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, yes they are usually but I still don't want to take the chance!

D

Donkeymad

It's a requirement that all Passports have this declaration. It makes a difference sometimes as to what drugs a vet can use, depending on if it can be used for human consumption or not.. Mine are NOT for human consumption, so can therefore have any drugs required.

flohelf

Visit site
Sorry for highjacking this post....Silly question but in France ( where although on the decline, quite a few people eat horsemeat
frown.gif
) they won't take grey horses for human consumption.
Does any one know why ?
My next horse will be a grey
grin.gif
tongue.gif

JM07

Visit site
most animals that are up to date with tet are able to enter he foodchain...its when they are poorly and in need of AB and bute/danilon that they then become "opt outs"...

if you dont sign the "not for human consumption" disclamer...an animal shouldnt receive any of the above or 28 days before being dispatched...

NONE of mine have a disclaimer as none of them are insured, so this leaves the door open for me to re-coup any monies from a " no return " ill-ness.

hadfos

Visit site
I also put not for human consumption and it was also signed by my vet!I believe it has to be signed by your vet to validate the opt out!

reynold

Visit site
It does have to be also signed by a vet for the opt out to be correct

mine are all opt-out

wonder if the grey thing is due to grey melanomas ?