Horses and the wind

lhotse

Visit site
Well, after a promising start to the week with lovely calm days of warm sunshine, the weather has reverted back to normal service with 50mph winds and heavy showers. Put my three out this morning and my mare wanted to come straight back in again!! She hates the wind. After an hour and a half of standing within two yards of the entrance to her field, and sporadic grass eating, even though I had moved her fence onto some new grass, I gave up and brought her back in again before she trashed said fence!! I was expecting fireworks on the way back in, but she seemed to relax as soon as I caught her, and the look of relief on her face when she went into her stable was immense!!

I feel guilty for not having her in the field though, the two little ones came in an hour later, and they are quite happy too. I'm sure if I had left her out, she would now be running around like a loony, and quite possibly injuring herself.

I haven't had a horse who hates the wind so much, I can only think that she has seen some horrid storms in her younger years as she was grazed at Portland Bill at some point!!

Lets hope that it calms down before tomorrow.

hnmisty

Visit site
hope it calms down by tomorrow, supposed to be viewing a couple of horses! :rolleyes:

I tried out my new boy in a howling gale, he didn't bat an eyelid! I was going to ask her what he was like in wind...evidently, the answer is- he doesn't care! :D

lhotse

Visit site
It's now chucking it down with rain too, I can imagine that she's more than happy in, thankfully, she likes her stable!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Its a difficult one isn't it!
My stables clatter a bit in very rough weather so I assume they are better off outside. One would far prefer to stand in with a hay net but the others prefer to be out what ever the weather.

lhotse

Visit site
I'm lucky in that my stables are in a lovely stone barn, with a view across the fields, so it's nice and calm in there, but they have a good outlook!!

You Wont Forget Me

Visit site
My horse is exactly the same! When out and the wind is really bad he gallops up and down the field (to the gate and back) or paces at the gate constantly until i bring him in, there's been a few times lately that whilst taking down to the field in the wind has had hissy fits rearing, spinning and bolting back to his stable, he is not a manly horse at all, why he was named Rambo i will never know:rolleyes: