Horses are for everyone

Theocat

Visit site
Kippen, I see your point - but I have a great deal more sympathy for those who cannot ride or have contact with horses for financial reasons (especially children) than those who might be prevented from some elements of horse contact due to something within their control.:)

(I'd also disagree with "if you can walk" - lots of people who can't still have contact with horses!)

JFTDWS

Visit site
If you can walk, then horses can be for you. Shameless bump because I really do want people to think about how horses are for everyone and not just people of a certain weight and figure type.

I think tazzle might have something to say about you limiting horses to those who can walk :eek:

Sorry Enfys - I'm only lashing out at skinny minnies because I'm so fat I've had my jaw wired shut and I'm hungry and mad (think king kong here!).

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
My point is that horses aren't just about riding. There is showing in hand and carriage driving for example. There is owning a paddock ornament. There is volunteering at genuine horse rescue centres. If we all go "Oh my GOD, you're FAT. You MUST stay away from all horses until you lose weight" then we are doing these people a tremendous disservice. We are possibly also missing out on people who could do good in the horse world.

Horses are for skinny people too. Horses are for everyone.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Actually, I don't agree: horses arn't "for" anyone - they are not therapy aids. They are entities - beautiful creatures in their own rights.

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
Actually, I don't agree: horses arn't "for" anyone - they are not therapy aids. They are entities - beautiful creatures in their own rights.

I started this thread because a lot of people became very nasty in the 19stone thread about larger people. I appreciate that there are people who are too large to ride horses but wanted to point out that their weight should not exclude them from the horse world and that we horse people shouldn't be so nasty.

GETTING A BIT SICK OF REPEATING THIS, SO NOW I AM SHOUTING IT. THERE ARE HORSE ACTIVITIES THAT DON'T INVOLVE ACTUALLY RIDING A HORSE. THESE ACTIVITIES CAN BE AVAILABLE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO HEAVY TO RIDE A HORSE.

LARGE PEOPLE ARE STILL PEOPLE AND STILL HAVE FEELINGS.

MrsHutt

Visit site
I can help skinny bash! As veterinary nurse I have seen many very skinny young cats go through a cat spay, and have huge chunks of fat internally. I take great pleasure in telling skinny minis who stuff their faces with unhealthy food how they are probably really fat internally :D

Ah ha! I am really skinny, internally! ;):D

Littlelegs

Visit site
THANKYOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT! Until I read this thread, I'd always believed no-one went within 50' of a horse unless riding it. It is a relief to know that people who are both fat & thin can go near horses, I had been worried they couldn't. Also it was news to me 'large people are still people & still have feelings' I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT, AMEN!

Theocat

Visit site
Inevitably on those "too heavy to ride" threads someone will suggest getting involved and helping out around horses, both as a way to get horse time and a way to help get some exercise.

I don't think anyone would ever say "you mustn't have horse time because you're fat" - but equally I wouldn't expect anyone to bite their tongue if they felt a heavy rider was a welfare issue.

If you want to rail against inequality, or an unfair lack of access to horses, weight is not the best battleground to choose...

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I repeat: horses are not therapy aids - get your acts together BEFORE you aproach the equines.....

I disagree. Maybe you have been blessed to have had a good and peaceful life and I am VERY glad for that if you have been but I went through tough times growing up as a teenager (stuff kids shouldn't have to deal with), had to work for a perverted old man cleaning his antiques to get my riding lesson money together- sometimes asking the alcoholic who lived downstairs for money for them, etc and at the same time pretend at school that my life was good and keep high marks. If I didn't have my 1 hour a week riding lesson to keep me sane, I don't know if I would be where I am today.

For a 13- 18 year old kid, horses were my therapy.